Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pauljg

New objects from old (CLASSES)

Hi, Does anyone know of a way that I can call a class to make an object, but by only passing a varible as the name.. Here''s the code, that doesnt work.. void sprite::clonesprite(char *directory) { tempsizex=spritex; tempsizey=spritey; callit=textureid; sprite directory("clone"); } As you can see, I''m in a class called clonesprite, but need to create a new object based on the name held in ''directory''. (which is passed to the class in the first place. Help !!!.. please.

Hi,

actually sprite::clonesprite means you're in class sprite defining method clonesprite.

what you need is a copy constructor... which should look like in your class declaration

class sprite {
public:
int spritex, spritey, textureid;
// ...
sprite(const sprite& rhs);
// ...
}

and you should define it like...

sprite::sprite(const sprite& rhs): spritex(rhs.spritex), spritey(rhs.spritey), textureid(rhs.textureid) {}

I know this is not EXACTLY what you meant to do, but I hope it helps... if the variable names don't match... that's cause you didn't post your class declaration

the way to call that constructor would be like

sprite NewSprite = OldSprite;

"Do it with style or don't bother doing it."

Edited by - xEricx on February 22, 2002 11:21:11 AM

It sounds like you need to use the Factory Method design pattern. Look it up on the web and, if you have further questions, post back here.

--
The placement of a donkey''s eyes in its head enables it to see all four feet at all times.