What is isometric programming?

Started by
4 comments, last by deadmilkman 22 years, 1 month ago
i know this may sound stupid, but what is exactly isometric programming? i''m new in game programming so thanks for your patience ------------------------------------------------------------ Who''''s your daddy? I''''m Your daddy! Cause i do this to you'''' mama!
Who''s your daddy? I''m Your daddy! Cause i do this to you'' mama!
Advertisement
Slanty squares.

Oli

All the best problems start with C

.:: K o s m o s E n g i n e ::.
quoting Ernest S. Pazera, aka TANSTAAFL:
An isometric projection is a 3D projection that does not correct for distance (in other words, something 30 tiles away is just as big as something 10 tiles away). The isometric projection is one of a family of axonometric projections.
(pg. 287 paragraph 3 in the Iso Programming book..)

//Demiurge
Make something idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot..
//DemiurgeMake something idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot..
Not contradicting the last post, just adding to it:

iso- means equal
metric- means size, or sized.

Isometric means equal-sized. When applied to a 3D projection, this implies that two objects of equal ''real world'' size will project to the same ''on-screen'' size, regardless of how far away from the viewpoint they are. As an example of a system that differs, ''perspective'' will represent an object as being smaller onscreen than an identically sized object that is closer to the viewer.

The relevance to computer games is that the ''isometric'' view is generally done with diamonds, that allow you to represent 3D in an isometic 2D manner, although technically it can apply to top-down squares or hexagons also.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
and to complete the other posts, i would say it''s the kind of perspective used in games like starcraft and diablo.
In easier to understand terms. Think of games like Diablo, and Syndicate wars etc. A view like that. Or even better example is think Marble Madness Those kind of views are osometric games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement