Scrolling Arcade Style Games?

Started by
16 comments, last by Imperitus 24 years, 1 month ago
Bangaio is a 2D sidescroller, but I don think that''s being translated, so that''s purely for the import heads. Then there''s Giga Wing, but Gamefan ain''t too keen on that one. Personally, I love good 2D stuff, it can be more detailed and vibrant in color, bigger effects too, cuz there are no vectors and lighting calcs to do. Why did our industry become so obssesed with 3D, even warcraft went 3D (but looks tight). It makes it harder now a days for us little guys to break in. Some body tie up and lock 3D in a closet so that 2D can have some fun for a while .

Dare To Think Outside The Box
Advertisement
Seems there are some more people out there with my tasts in games. I''m gona go find Tyrian 2000 and Silencer.

Anyone know of any others in the genre in development?
I prefered Silkworm to SWIV

Battle Squadron was great. Used to play it in the evenings when winding down after work. That and Wings.

Dan Marchant
www.obscure.co.uk
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

Yes Stefpet...Battle Squadron was developed by Danes..
Martin Pedersen was the coder. I had (still have) a magasine in which there is an interview with him. I''ve read it a thousand times. He was sort of my idol back then. He was working on a new game called "Aviator". Don´t know if it was ever completed.

Some guy spoke of Alien Breed. Of yes...I REMEMBER THAT GAME !!!!!! Me and a friend used to play it all the time 2 player. It was sooo coool..First time I tried playing a cooperate game. I remember how we yelled out loud when we were overrun by aliens. "COVER ME!!", "WATCH MY REAR!!!", "I CAN´T MAKE IT !!!! ARGHHHH !!!!"

I still think cooperative gameplay is much cooler than Deathmath (quake, duke etc.)..That´s why quake3 sucks....

If I knew how to make 3D I would create a game like SWIV or Alien Breed. Without fancy camera-angles. Just the top-view.
That way I would be true to the genre, but I could take advantage of 3D effects like shadows & light.
Too bad 3D is so complicated...

-------------Ban KalvinB !
A great and rare arcade shooter was side arms. It was made by capcom and rom star. Get an emulator and check it out because i doubt you''ll ever find a copy in a arcade.(Outa about 20 states and multiple cities in thoose states ive seen 2 copies. Then again it was made in 84 or 85. Also how about a great game IMHO for the genesis called Bio Hazard Battle? As far as the comp zone goes I dont know of any.
Capcom, ummm I get strange vibrations every time i hear that, There is some cool side scrolling type games tough, one was looking pretty much Seek & Destroy but it was 3d and using dX it was cool, don''t remember it''s name, but I can find it out if you want...
Capcom is "the company" when it comes to 2D
They still preferr to make 2D games :D

I agree with that cooperative is better mode than Deathmatch, and that Q3 sucks because of that. I like more playing assault mode in Unreal Tournament
I tried to play Alien Breed PC version about 5-6 years ago, and my video card didn''t support right resolution during that time ;D
Maybe I should try again

But seriously, is Expandable (sorry if I spelled wrong) THAT BAD game ? I know that it''s old school shooter, and maybe it''s not worth of full prize game, but is there anything actually really wrong with it ?

Glad to hear so many people still into 2D games. I also think there is a lot still to be done in 2D, with the lighting effects of current 3D cards.
My 2D shooter Star Miner (http://www.positech.co.uk) has done really well, and its because its easy to play and has instant feedback. Not everyone wants to read a 7000 page manual before they start playing Alpha centauri :-)
On a related note, does anyone know how usable/reliable the D3DX sprite-drawing stuff is for proffesional quality games?

http://www.positech.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement