• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n3urai

OpenGL OpenGl or Direct X

This topic is 6017 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am an experience C++ programmer for windows and linux and i want to get into game programming. I was wondering what was better to learn first. OpenGL or DirectX. Give me some opinions please. Keep It Real!

Advertisement
i think the moderators should just go ahead and delete a thread like this as soon as they see it

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T

Sorry if i started something bad here. I just wanted to know from some people with experience what was better. I guess i will have to find out for myself.

Keep It Real!

I do not agree. As long as nobody is flaming, there's no need to close this thread.
The question is "what should I learn first in order to get into game programming?" not "what is the best API?".

Now, real world experience tells me that to start learning OpenGL NOW couldn't be the best choice.

OpenGL extensions mechanism has proven old and crappy after 10 years from its introduction... there's a reason why 3dlabs is pushing up OpenGL 2.0...
Furthermore a lot of games are developed using DirectX, and XBoX support for this API can help DirectX remaining on top of the hill.

Of course you have to consider the code written with DX is bounded to win32 and what you learn now with OpenGL 1.x can be anyhow useful when migrating to OpeGL 2.0. If you're new to game programming, it could happen to have the chance to start with OGL 1.x and complete your project with 2.0... and that'd be great. But it could happen to learn a lot of things about 1.x which will be removed/changed/integrated into 2.0.

So, there's no real winner but now OpenGL is one step behind DirectX, and its future is of course risky. It's up to you.

My 2 eurocents.

Edited by - DrKappa on February 22, 2002 12:08:39 PM

This topic is 6017 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.