• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game idea - ever wanted to be the bully?

This topic is 5840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I haven''t put a ton of thought into this, but I just had this idea: A 3rd person action game, kinda like Grand Theft Auto 3. The setting is a school + playground. You start off as a wanna-be bully, and get missions from the head bullys. Missions could include: - beat up some kid and take his lunch money - protect some nerdy kid who pays you for your services - Take down a kid who ratted you out to the teachers - Steal stuff from an empty classroom without getting noticed - participate in playground brawls etc... The "combat" would be simple, kinda like GTA3, except mostly punching, kicking, and maybe using simple weapons. You''ll have to watch out for the teachers, cause if they see you throw a punch you''ll end up in detention... Anyways, just some thoughts...

Advertisement
What is the motivation to play this? It''s not something you couldn''t do in real life (and it''s a mirror of a real word situation), it''s not something particularly attractive in real life (bullying is usually the result of peer pressure, not an intense fascination with human psychological response under strenuous circumstances)... why would anyone play it?

Before you bother to design a game, ask why anybody would play it. Is it in good taste? Is it worthwhile?

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

You know its strange...I remember a while back, I was in a
computer club that met after school. One of my classmates was
trying to code something like that on an Apple IIe...

I guess if you make your target audience people who always got
picked on it might work...who knows maybe there''s a niche for
it somewhere...(personally I kinda doubt it but...)

You''d have to make it really simple though as the target audience
probably does not include kids above 12 years old...

-=Lohrno

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
What is the motivation to play this? It's not something you couldn't do in real life (and it's a mirror of a real word situation), it's not something particularly attractive in real life (bullying is usually the result of peer pressure, not an intense fascination with human psychological response under strenuous circumstances)... why would anyone play it?

Before you bother to design a game, ask why anybody would play it. Is it in good taste? Is it worthwhile?

Well, as you can see I didn't really do much "designing", I just threw out an idea I had so I could get people's reactions. But hey, you don't think it would be fun so that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for!

Edited by - gir on February 22, 2002 2:20:30 PM

oh sure! it would be great! then you could start giving the kids guns! yeah right...
no, the idea of your game would be extreamly controversial and you could end up with several lawsuits from angery parents who blame their kids actions on you. they tried to pin the gaming industry after columbine...they''ll do it again and get through if you go and try to do a crazy stunt like that. just forget about the idea, not only for the good of others, but for your own self.

Well, based on everybody''s reaction I''m glad I tested the waters here before quitting my day job to work full time on SimBully

You know, what? In an ideal world I''d say screw what they think,
I''m gonna do it anyway but...It''s true...parents will start suing
I mean christ someone sued DAoC for not being able to sell
fictitious $%@#%# items. "Hi, I wanna sell my invisible friend
pete''s super cool box that when you press the button makes all
your wishes come true." It''s true...people get pissed and turn
to lawyers now. =( Really I''m sorry but I think anyone who would
sue over a VIDEO GAME needs to get a life. But I''m so sad
because now there are so many people out there who do!

I dont like this kid''s idea...(sorry, gir, I just kinda don''t)
But to use the controversial argument makes me very upset too.
And after the tragic events on 9/11, people are even more insane.
I''m glad that no one has yet tried to claim that RTCW is a
training simulator for Terrorist attacks. (but I''m realistic to
realize the day might come =( ) I think we all need to be
somewhat more supportive of "Controversial ideas." As our
freedoms may be dwindling. I mean people who like to play these
games have little legal power, while people who oppose can easily
get the attention, and support of religious/conservative groups.
The thing is, games with "controversial ideas" have little legal
backing, and people who find them too offensive, and that they
should be banned right now have too much power. I know, I could
be marching on Washington, and lobbying, or donating to some
legal fund, but I''m not THAT much of an activist. =P But just
dont blast people because their ideas are "controversial." I
think it sucks...sorry...
rant.end();

-=Lohrno

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
What is the motivation to play this? It''s not something you couldn''t do in real life (and it''s a mirror of a real word situation), it''s not something particularly attractive in real life (bullying is usually the result of peer pressure, not an intense fascination with human psychological response under strenuous circumstances)... why would anyone play it?

<small>[ <a href="http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/">GDNet Start Here</a> | <a href="http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/search.asp">GDNet Search Tool</a> | <a href="http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/faq.asp">GDNet FAQ</a> | <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/">MS RTFM [MSDN]</a> | <a href="http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/">SGI STL Docs</a> | <a href="http://www.google.com/">Google!</a> ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!</small>

If your just posing questions to flesh out the design of this game, that''s fine. But if you think it is bad for the reasons you give, then I disagree with you.

GTA3 got very good reviews and I think it is great fun to play too. I could go steal cars and go on a crime spree in real life if I wanted to (I doubt I''d be able to try more than once though!). There is nothing attractive in this, in the sense that everyone would hate me and it would cause many people grief. A game based on this is also bad taste, really.

However, it is still a very fun game so these reasons are a poor motivating factor in choosing good design.

On a side note, the closest I''ve ever seen to this is School Daze (try some emulators or the amatuer remake). By the way, why limit it to bullies? How about letting the player choose who they want to be?

GTA has the distinction that you perpetrate a lot of violence, but largely against faceless entities (those you target are criminals themselves, generally, which blunts the edge). To bully you traditionally need to single out the victims, a level of intimacy that I don''t approve of.

I hope you see my rationale. If the game abstracts the "bullying" such that you simply bully random targets, well maybe.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]

I think i would rather play as the other side and get revenge on the bully.

And why stop at the bully, why not make a game that lets you beat the hell out of every annoying person you can imagine. Ever see the move ''Falling Down'' (i think thats the name). Something like that.

And it wouldnt be rocket launchers and flak cannons, you just make a really good umm...beating damage engine. NO blood or gibs, but black eyes, and bruises. You just take pipes and chase them around and make them cry. That would be entertaining to watch...at least in my sick mind it would...

I think the idea of a sim for the whole schoolyard would be a more interesting treatment than just sticking to the bully side of things. Imagine an MMORPG where people play "Nerds", "Jocks", "Druggies", "Dark Loners", "Headbanging Goths", "Soriety Nympho''s" etc... you could have great fun with the interactions and implement all sorts of amusing diplomacy between the different sets. Imagine some jock playing a bully persona hassling out a nerd, then the nerd sticks a dye-bomb in the guy''s locker in vengeance, etc...

Also - each "character class" gets to use different "class abilities". e.g. Soriety Nympho''s get Flirt and Humiliate skills, Dark Loners get Ignore Taunt and Stealth, Headbanging Goths get Repulse and Witchcraft, Jocks get Body Slam and Toilet Dunk, Druggies get Pain Tolerance and Gross-Out, etc...

It''s utterly disfunctional but might be able to be sold on the basis of promoting understanding through roleplay of different real life character types. PG13 or MA15 depending on how realistic or nasty you decide to make the content.

Alternatively you could make a SIM game where you manage the populations of these different schoolyard archetypes through rostering your teachers accordingly. e.g. To stop opposing jock factions pounding eachother to death on sports fields you need an Authoritarian Ex-Military teacher out on the oval. To mollify the number of fire brigade callouts you get you might want to have empathic counsellors available to keep the nerds in tow, etc... Either way - the player gets to switch views between the teachers in the different areas based on need and whim.

Just random thoughts here - make of them what you will.

Cheers

DarkePoet

DarkePoet
"The chickens made me do it."

You know, the reason I dont like the idea of school-related
anything is that mostly, people play video games to NOT go to
school. I mean why would people want to go to school for 7
hours, and play an MMORPG about school for another 9? I mean it
kinda defeats the purpose of taking people away from reality.
People usually (in my experience) play games to either pass time,
or pass time and escape into a different reality. It might work
if you made your target audience retirees, but anybody else
is either working, or too close to that reality and they remember
all of that still from their own lives. Come on, really...who
wants to go back to school? I think most of us were of the uhm
geek classification! =D (I know that right now you are saying
''Heh I wasnt a geek in school.'' But probably you were. It''s ok to
admit it most of us here are programmers heh.)

-=Lohrno

This sounds damned fun, actually.
As long as one were to realize it''s kind of a niche title.

And yes, I''ll be buying Postal 2 and State of Emergency. ~,~

I could think of so many ideas for this.

Personally, I think if you can code this yourself(as it seems a
bit ambitious for a beginning programmer) you should.

If you''re going to make a freeware game, just do something you''re
going to enjoy.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

Hyatus is right, this is starting to sound like fun.

Take a cartoon-style, overexaggerated presentation style and allow the user play as a member of any number of parties in the undeclared Recess War - Jocks (strong, fast, supremist, kinda silly), Bullies (strong, slow, dumb, not terribly deep), The Gang (regular kids just trying to get by, the obvious favorites). Use humor as a central element (watch some Nickelodeon for inspiration on what kinds of things kids would like - Arthur, Doug and that one with the kid who wears a kilt).

Allow the player get group or individual points for doing various things in line with the group objectives...

I''m off to write this down. I might use it for my class project, which is due on Friday

• Advertisement