• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dh

2D in OGL

This topic is 5960 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m trying to make a tile based rpg similar (from the graphics engine standpoint) to Diablo. I am a decent c++ programmer but I am new to graphics apis. I tried to learn direct x but have given up. I want to try open gl but I am having trouble finding a tutorial that deals with 2d graphics. I try to skim throught the 3d tutotials to find what I want but its hard to pick out what I need. Can someone help me find a good ogl 2d tutorial or at least give me some code to play with (keep in mind I have no idea what im doing).

Advertisement
Look up the documentation for gluOrtho2D. That will help you set up a 2D projection. After that, you draw stuff using the same OpenGL commands that you use in 3D mode, but by ignoring the z coordinate.

Thank you very much for the fast replies. I think the zelda program will be very useful to me.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!