• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AbsolutDew

Ack, DI cluttering registry

This topic is 6077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently stumbled across this key in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DirectInput It seems everytime i recompile and run my game that uses direct input, it makes a new key in there. i had about 300 occurences of my current game in there. Anyone know why? and how to stop it from making a new key each time? And while im on the topic of DI, what is this compiler message? c:\dxsdk\include\dinput.h: DIRECTINPUT_VERSION undefined. Defaulting to version 0x0800 obviously it wants me to define directinput_version, but why?

Advertisement
Thats funny, on my system the keys are empty. maybe because im using DX 7

that error is probably to get the programmer into the habbit of setting the version manually so it doesnt break when someone tries to compile it on a different SDK. it wont hurt to define it for all the DXs in an H file

Edited by - Cybertron on February 22, 2002 5:57:50 PM

The registry keys are for action mapping. I think SDK docs say that dinput generates a key for each unique exe that uses it (even if the exe doesn''t use action mapping). Since you are rebuilding your program quite frequently, each new build produces a new key.

I think that the only solution mentioned in the docs is to periodically delete the entries.

DIRECTINPUT_VERSION is just what it says. For some odd reason, dinput.h prints this warning via #pragma message if it''s not defined. All other headers, if you bother to look, also define DIRECTxxx_VERSION; they, however, don''t complain if you don''t define it.

If this warning annoys you as it does me, put #define DIRECTINPUT_VERSION 0x0800 before you include dinput.h. I do this in my stdafx.h file, as I''m always using PCH.

Hey i appreciate your answers, but does anyone know a way to make it so i keep the same key between recompiles or something? it kinda annoys me now that i know about it

IndirectX, when you say the docs refer to this key, do you happen to mean that they refer to the action mapping input INI files? My DX 8.0 docs do mention those (including saying you should delete ''em periodically during development), but I could find no mention of these registry keys being created.

--
Eric

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!