• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSP Compiler

This topic is 5810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m attempting a 3d engine right now that''s based around BSP rendering with OpenGL. I thought it would be easy to find some kind of freeware BSP compiler on the net, buy I couldn''t. Does anyone know of BSP compiler that supports a large number of modeling formats and has decent documentation on how to load the generated BSP files?

Advertisement
Well, you could try something like q3radiant. It''s Quake III''s native map maker, and it creates *.BSP files, which are fairly well documented on the net (you''ll have to search for them, I forgot to bookmark them). I''m not sure if it allows you to load in static models you''ve created in something 3DS Max, but it''s very good for creating all kinds of stuff.

I''m actually creating a BSP algorithm at the moment, for a level editor I''m writing for my 3D engine. So far, it creates the nodes required, and is able to sort polygons which are behind, coincident with, or in front of the current plane in the BSP node. All I have to do now is the polygon splitting code.

iNsAn1tY - the place where imagination and the real world merge...
Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle - Now updated!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi,

Quake III Radiant is Quake III''s Map-editor, but its not a BSP-Compiler. BSP Compilation is being performed by q3map.
q3map does also calculate the PVS, PHS, Radiosity, etc. The source code is available at:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/source/

Q3A_TA_GameSource_129h.exe is the most recent version I think.

Also, there are a lot of .bsp-viewers out there, they might help you, too.

Trust me, FUCK Q3Radiant.

If you want simply the best, use Worldcraft. However, if you''re looking for BSP levels that have shader features, etc, Q3Radiant will do that..but Worldcraft is still simply the best. It was the #1 map editor for Quake1/Quake2/Half-Life, and still is.

• Advertisement