• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone ever actually FINISH an RPG?

This topic is 5809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

it seems that many many people here are "working on their RPG" (just as i am), and i am curious if any of you people ever actually finished one? i didn''t see many in the GDNet showcase, and i saw NO completed ones. --- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Advertisement
shhhhh! Don''t let the cat out the bag!

Actually, I haven''t seen any complete game of more than average complexity. But that''s perfectly okay, because I suppose we can consider this all a learning experience.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

yup, i agree.

I dont think people even expect to finish there games, it''s all about the learning, so that next time they can do it quicker.

that''s sorta how i saw it... but i figured someone must have actually finished before!
i wonder if i am diluded in thinking that i will finish mine...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

The thought of not finishing mine has not came to my mind either so at least you're not alone

I think Terran by Aeon Software (no relation at all with my project) seems to have fairly complete engine, but the story was kind of short (not finished) last time I checked, I am getting the feeling that It will take me more time developing the story than its taking me to finish the engine.

Edited by - kwizatz on February 22, 2002 8:58:35 PM

quote:
Original post by krez
it seems that many many people here are "working on their RPG" (just as i am), and i am curious if any of you people ever actually finished one? i didn''t see many in the GDNet showcase, and i saw NO completed ones.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

I did finish one, back when I was in secondary 4. the worst part is, it was made in QuickBasic. Back in those days, DOS was still popular though... But we did finish it, we were a small team of 3 programmers and one GFX artist.

We never released it though, heck, I''m not even sure if I still have it.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

It takes evil black magic to complete an RPG...

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That''s where we come in; we''re computer professionals. We cause accidents."
-Nathaniel Borenstein

I completed my clone of Bards Tale in C back when i had my Amiga, but then again, it was just a replica

But as the rest of you, i got tons of docs and sources which are supposed to become a complete rpg in the end. Ofcourse that will never happen, but the fun lies in just messing with the code and "designing" skill- and battle-engine. So far i have a texture-less fftactics-ish 3d engine in which i can issue move commands to characters.

quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
I completed one, for my senior project. It was very similar to the original Dragon Warrior. It was for the Cybkio, so it was relatively simple, but people who played it almost always declared it the best third party game for the Cybiko.

Please tell me that means "senior in college" and not "senior in high school". It will make me feel much better that way...

-----------------------------
Damnit Dave, I would have a link to Graphics Wars here, but you haven''t put it up on GDNet yet!
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

Democracy is where you say what you want and do what you''re told.

quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
The thought of not finishing mine has not came to my mind either so at least you''re not alone

I think Terran by Aeon Software (no relation at all with my project) seems to have fairly complete engine, but the story was kind of short (not finished) last time I checked, I am getting the feeling that It will take me more time developing the story than its taking me to finish the engine.

Thats a pretty cool game! When are you going to release a newer demo?

Moe''s Site

I guess most ppl don''t finish their RPGs because of one of the following reasons:

1- No design doc
2- No tech doc
3- No team organisation
4- Not enough people for the size of the project = project progresses too slowly = no motivation
5- Far from reach goals (like 3 ppl coding a full fledged 3d rpg)
6- No tools (like a level building tool, with all the features and simple enough for non-programmers to be able to use it or a tool for artists to see their work running on the actual engine of the game)

I guess it''s about it... other than that a RPG require some experience from a programmer standpoint...

If you keep the project simple (like 2D instead of 3d) and have a good team organization (read the articles at this site! they are pretty good!) the project will undoubtly come to an end with the game done... a in deph design doc doesn''t let team members be clueless about what to do next.... weekly meetings and discussion also helps....

Hehh... I''m just starting an RPG... but I guess it''s not that tough to finish a project (i''m suposing a 2-3 years development cycle for the project, with 4 programers, 2 designers, 2 artists and about 10 testers and maybe even more ppl if required...)

I guess it''s just me beign optimistic... hehehhh....

the discussion is interesting....

quote:
Original post by Stoffel
I finished FFVII AND Chrono Cross.

Oh, you meant programming..

Isn''t it the same either way? You start it, you get to the point where you don''t see a way to get any further, you drop it.

I''ve finished engines for RPGs, but I''ve never finished the actual games.

They require so much effort, thinking in terms of storyline, characters, creating of stats, names, artifacts, goals, characters..gah.

I always start an RPG with sheer enthusiasm, then as I get farther into it, I lose interest, and ultimately start working on some software

quote:
Original post by sporty
and ultimately start working on some software

Perfect waste of a day.

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net''s Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)

Finish? I''ve spent the last month just trying to start mine Soooo... much planning involved in RPGs *sigh*

~Vendayan

I keep getting pulled into other projects and it gets harder and harder to pick up on my RPG. My map editor is completed (based on the current design doc - yes I have one ) and the object editor is about 90%. Since the engine for the editor will be used in the game itself that''s already done, so I guess the game itself is about 10 done. Maybe one of these days...

Breakaway Games

Guest Anonymous Poster
After I do all the fun coding for the engine and stuff I almost always end up dropping my projects. To me it''s too boring to actually finish a game w/ all that detail and story line stuff.

Guilty as charged. It always goes the same route.
1) Wow, if I could just draw tiles!
2) Oh man, 3D...if I could just make this plain 3D..
3) Wow! If only I started using DirectX, I could...

I think RPGs are the most difficult of all the genres to make.
Not only is there several major areas, but each are pretty expansive...
1) Graphics. No need to discuss this.
2) Talking System. Sure, click conversations are OK, but I like true interaction. Even key word conversations (i.e. Ultima) are fine. This of course brings in game state issues and the like.
3) Battle System. Not only character interaction, but style, statistics, and a full fledge rule system must be done first.
4) World Data. I think it all comes down to the data for the game. The game does not have to be long to be good, but if the engine does not fit the data and presentation plan, then all is lost.

As someone else mentioned, I always ended up trying to make something one step too hard. During the project, I would learn how to do it, then start over because of my love for the new feature. The good thing is, it was always for learning, or hobby, so there was not anything wasted.

I don''t do RPGs. I don''t have plans to do RPGs in the near future. I don''t have the resources to do an RPG I would be proud of.

Therefore, I do puzzles, sports and shooters (not FPS! Yuck!)

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

• Advertisement