• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gamechampionx

VB6

This topic is 6015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m a VB6 programmer, and I''m only in Grade 10. I was wondering if VB is any good for games, because my VC++ skills are poor, because I just started with it. I like to fiddle around with an old programming language called Touring, and make games with garbage graphics. Lastly, what''s the general format of a game in C++, how is the code laid out. Also, do you like C++ for DOS or Windows for game programming?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by gamechampionx
I''m a VB6 programmer, and I''m only in Grade 10. I was wondering if VB is any good for games, because my VC++ skills are poor, because I just started with it. I like to fiddle around with an old programming language called Touring, and make games with garbage graphics. Lastly, what''s the general format of a game in C++, how is the code laid out. Also, do you like C++ for DOS or Windows for game programming?

First things first again, VC++ is NOT a language, it''s an IDE. The language is C/C++. Now, as for DOS or Windows, I used prefer DOS because the init was simpler but you had to write ASM drivers for all the video cards and sound cards you wanted to support but Now, I prefer Windows programming since I can simply bother with the game code and not bother with drivers. And yes, you can use VB to create small games but for large project, IMHO, I find that VB is too restrictive. Some of the tools for my game are made with VB since I can have a map editor done in about 1hour or 2.

My 2 cents...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

Freaky. I''m 10th grade and am working on games in VB6 too...
Right now I''m working on an RTS game. Microsoft has really streamlined VB to be quite fast. The OOP is a little sloppy but that can be used to cheat on certain things. If you do use VB, consider using DirectX.

Hey, JNewt. Cool 2 see someone my age, everyone thinks I''m a complete idiot around here. Anyway, I need help. I want to learn how to write to a file. How is it done?

quote:
Original post by gamechampionx
I'm a VB6 programmer, and I'm only in Grade 10. I was wondering if VB is any good for games, because my VC++ skills are poor, because I just started with it. I like to fiddle around with an old programming language called Touring, and make games with garbage graphics. Lastly, what's the general format of a game in C++, how is the code laid out. Also, do you like C++ for DOS or Windows for game programming?

I wrote an RPG in VB6 once. I started to learn DirectX, but because at the time I was still relatively new at C++, it was quite a leap for me. So I took a step back and used GDI API calls in VB6 to do some blitting and such. Yes, the performance was pretty poor. But it was only a tile-based RPG (ala Ultima), and what I wanted I got: a valuable learning experience. The problem that I primarily wanted to solve was how to build the different data structures I needed to represent game mechanics in memory. Since I was good at VB and not very good at C++ at the time, I didn't need the frustrating of foreign syntax slowing me down. I did it all in VB, and I'm glad I did it. DirectX is fantastic, but because it abstracts so much of the technology away, you're not really learning what's going on. Anyway, since then I've done the same in C++ w/ DirectX, but I'm glad I started w/ VB.

Good luck!

Edited by - Steel on February 23, 2002 9:48:12 PM

GDI calls are functions for getting graphics onto the screen - BitBlt mainly. You load a bitmap into memory and use BitBlt to draw it onto the screen. Not the best way to do it now that DirectX is available but still decent for a simple game.

Breakaway Games

I use vb6 for writing games and always use the GDI to blit RAW images onto a DirectXsurface at full screen

speed is fully acceptable, I find I get around 28 - 34 FPS using 32bit 320-256 and my engine is simple either, infact I use lots of transparancies and warping techniques

nip along to www26.brinkster.com/retrogam to see a game i am remaking atm

gamechampionx - "What are CGI API calls?"

Hang on. CGI and GDI are _very_ different. I realize that you maybe misread what the others guys typed, but this could cause you confusion later on.

The term "GDI calls" refers to when your code calls graphics functions that are a part of the Windows system itself. Windows uses the GDI to draw the forms, buttons, everything else you see as part of windows.

The GDI is very simple to use, but because it was designed for Windows'' graphic needs, it is hellishly slow. It is in fact the reason DirectX was created. GDI just wasn''t good enough for games. DirectX isn''t just graphics though. It''s everything you need in one but far more complex than the GDI, which is why some people start on the GDI first.

"BitBlt" is one of the functions defined in the GDI. The most useful too.

Start with the GDI GameChampionX. It''ll introduce you a lot better than DirectX will.

-------------

"Lastly, what''s the general format of a game in C++, how is the code laid out." - There really is no general format. This is because different games have such different requirements. It also depends on if you''re talking windows program, or a dos based program.

I guess a simple format would be:
---------------------------------
Game Initialization
Game Menu
Interpret Game Menu selection and process:
- New Game
- Exit Game

If Exit game, quit
If new game, enter game loop

GameLoop
- Clear Screen
- draw graphics
- get user input
-- if input is quit key, exit game
- alter game variables based on input
- Do Game Loop

The above is such a rough approximation, and even an oversimplification, that i doubt it does you any good though.

My advice is start small. Using the GDI, code a ping pong game. Yes, I am serious, yes, a lot of us here started with that.

We know nothing

http://www.geocities.com/promitr/invaders.zip

I wrote it, full source included. It is a pretty cool game written using the GDI function BitBlt and other than that, basic VB.

-----------------------------
Direct3D vs. OpenGL
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

Democracy is where you say what you want and do what you''re told.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!