• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

romer

Borland C++ Builder problem

This topic is 6084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A while ago I got BCB 5 so I could make Windows programs. Well, no matter what I''ve tried, I can never get a working exe file. Even if I get 0 errors/0 warnings, I could double click on the exe file and it''ll do nothing. Then when I got Tricks of teh Windows Game Programming Gurus, I installed MSVC 6 introductory version on my computer and started using that because it was the only thing that would compile my Windows programs. I''ve decided to give Borland another try, and I have this windows program that just draws a few basic shapes like a circle, rectangle, etc to a window using GDI. I was able to compile it fine under MSVC, and the exe file would run like it''s supposed to. Tonight when I tried using Borland, it''d compile and link fine. Then when I double clicked on the exe file, nothing would happen. I''d see the hourglass icon flicker for one quick moment, and then it goes away, as if nothing had happened. I''ve tried using Borland''s Program Manager to delete all the files that didn''t seem to matter (like the Project1.cpp file) but it would always give me this message saying it can''t delete the projects main work file. I figured if I couldn''t get a (relatively) simple program compiled and working fine under Borland, then I won''t be to move on to DirectX. Does anyone know why all my programs will just cause the hourglass mouse cursor to flicker for a brief moment if it''s compiled/linked using BCB 5, whereas if I used MSVC, they run exactly the way they were supposed to? This is really startign to aggrevate me.

Advertisement
Make sure the program definitely doesn''t use packages and uncheck the "use dynamic RTL" option (both are in the project options dialogue). That will guarantee a standalone exe. Get rid of unnecessary files and do a full rebuild.

That probably won''t do much, but it''s worth a shot.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Ok, I did that but it still wouldn''t run. I unchecked the Dynamic RTL and unchecked/removed all the design packages and the run time packages from the list in the Packages tab, built the project and it wouldnt run. It did the same thing, where it flickers the hourglass icon/cursor for a second. Just for kicks, I tried making something using the tabs near the menu bar and put stuff in the default Form1 and did a build on it. THAT worked fine, it created the popup box like it was supposed to. I just don''t see why you cant make a simple hand coded windows application in Borland. Does anyone else have this problem?

Never. Something sounds odd.....

Post me a small app and I''ll try it. If I fix it I''ll send you the solution.

neil@carlaandneil.freeserve.co.uk

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!