• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gamechampionx

Tiles

This topic is 6136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m a decent VB6 programmer, but I suck with graphics. I''m planning on making an RPG. What are tile graphics, and how do create them. Are they useful for what I''m doing? BTW, for a very simple 2D Dragon-Warrior-style game, what''s the expected file size? Is 20MB close?

Advertisement
Tile graphics make up the graphic "atoms" of your game -- the indivisible pieces of graphics you can use on your maps (and probably for your sprites too, but technically those might be called "sprite graphics" instead ). To create them, you can use practically any graphics program. If you want one that will automatically arrange the graphics into a single bitmap for you (which *I* think is a clean efficient way to do it) you can use a program like The Scrolling Game Development Kit which is designed for creating (and optionally using) tile graphics. All the tile graphics should be the same size becase then they can be arranged neatly in rows and columns on the map -- much easier to program that way. If you want a better understanding of how tile graphics are used on a map and in a game, play around with that kit for a while before moving on to your project.

To use these graphics in a VB6 program, add a reference to the PicClip control. Project->Components->Microsoft Picture Clip Control 6.0. If you don''t have it, look for PICCLP32.OCX (it might be on the VB6 CD and not installed). After you have a local copy of the file, browse for it in the Components window and add it to the project. Once you have it, you can add it to a form, give it the "tileset" bitmap (by setting the Picture property), tell it the tile sizes, and access the individual tile graphics using the GraphicCell property (passing it the index of the tile you want to use). It will return a picture to you that you can use with a PaintPicture method to draw individual tiles/frames of your map or sprite.

"All you need to do to learn circular logic is learn circular logic"

Oh, and as for the size, I''m sure you can come in way under 20 MB. You may have to add 2 MB if you''re going to create a setup package using VB''s package and deployment wizard (VB runtimes take a lot of space) but the EXE itself and the graphics combined, I bet could come in under 1 MB if you''re basing your game on tile graphics and you don''t have many full screen graphics. I''ve drawn a few simple tilesets in my days and I''ve never had one exceed 400k -- and those are stored as BMP files -- they''d be much smaller as PNG or some other compressible format.

Thanks for the advice, really helps. Howver I need to find a very simple tile editor. Can''t use paint, can I? Anyway, I''m designing a cool RPG for VB6 programming, and it doesn''t have to be made in C++ to be good, just wait.

Sure, you can use paint -- it can save graphics as BMP files and VB can load BMP files (LoadPicture). You can either save each tile as a separate file (tedious) or put them together exactly right (evenly spaced) into a single bitmap (more tedious). But that would work. Also, I have a program here that will automatically arrange a number of same-sized bitmaps into a single large bitmap which might make life easier for you. Scroll to the bottom of that page and look for TilePic.ZIP under "Other Files". If you still want to make your tiles in paint, at least you don''t have to go through the tedium of manually arranging them perfectly on a single bitmap.

So the graphics editor in the Scrolling Game Development Kit isn''t simple enough for you eh? Why does it need to be simple?

I''m with you on the fact that VB can be used to create good games. RPGs don''t even require much processing power to be good because they don''t animate that finely, so VB would be a good tool there. I took it a step farther in making The Scrolling Game Development Kit in VB even though I know C/C++, and that does require some speed . (I''d sell my s... ynthesizer to get a playback engine for the game dev kit in Java though )

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!