• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need an overview..

This topic is 5811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I dont know what to ask really, Index Buffers and Vertex Buffers.. Lets say I have two meshes.. Terrain and a Player.. Now a player can move without terrain, so there has to be two seperate instances.. Does this mean I have two Vertex/Index buffers, one for each element or how do I do this? Whats the basic in a nutshell way this should be done..

Advertisement
go check the tutorials lucifer Any tutorials. Buy a book. That question is too unspecific, it's like asking us to teach you how to program direct3d from the ground up.

Edited by - Sorrow on February 23, 2002 1:20:08 PM

Actually its an extremely simple question that doesnt require more than 5 lines of pseudocode.. Please notice the words overview and also in a nutshell..

I am getting opinions here and not from a tutorial because people usually are eager to help and you learn much more, especially when it comes to efficiency..

Anyone?

I agree with Sorrow, the question is hard to answer. There are a gazillion ways of drawing meshes, using index buffers, vertex buffers and all kinds of custom buffers.

You can store both meshes in one vertexbuffer, or you can have 10000 vertexbuffers for the landscape alone. You can use index-buffers if you want; you dont need to use either the one or the other if you dont want to. It''s up to how you design your engine. It''s very hard to give you an overview.

If you load your meshes from files (.x), you dont really need to think about vertexbuffers at all, as they are managed automatically. Just use the D3DXMesh interface.

Grab some tutorials

• Advertisement