• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special Effects programming with DirectX 8.0

This topic is 5900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just got this book. Did anybody who read this notice that the author does matrix multiplication wrong? It makes me wonder how accurate the rest of the book is.

Advertisement
Yes, I noticed that too. The author reverses his rows and columns and doesn''t do matrix multiplication the standard way that is taught, at least to my knowledge the standard way. In fact, his book was the only book that I''ve come across that multiplies matrices oddly.

I eventually figured out how he was multiplying the matrices, but since most people don''t multiply that way and I don''t think Microsoft handles multiplication that way, I didn''t see any reason to adopt his way of multiplying matrices.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well I didn''t read the book
but you don''t have a normal
way of representing a transformation matrix.
All is a matter of convention: which
one come first row or column..

DirectX does not use "the standard way"
to represent matrix but a way amongst other;
column vectors or row vectors they are equivalent
but you have to transpose matrix
ex: V is a column vector Vt is the transposed
row vector, M is a matrix, Mt is the transposed
matrix then you have
(M.V)t = Vt.Mt

CU
LEGREG

Does this book come with version 8.0 of the sdk on the cd? I just got 5.0 which came with the introductory version of c++ and dont feeling like dowloading it if i can get it on the cd.

quote:
Original post by skilofreak
Does this book come with version 8.0 of the sdk on the cd? I just got 5.0 which came with the introductory version of c++ and dont feeling like dowloading it if i can get it on the cd.

I believe it comes with 8.1

• Advertisement