Cool RPG

Started by
14 comments, last by gamechampionx 22 years, 1 month ago
the [untested] method i am planning on using takes into account the level of the enemy versus the player''s level, and multiplies the base XP by that... so at level 1, you get a lot of XP for killing a few level 2 beasties, but at level 10 you get next to nothing for anything under level 7 that you kill. this''ll make it not-so-hard to level if the player is adventurous and faces challenging fights, but it will make it useless to wander around only killing weak monsters for the sole purpose of power-leveling...
whatever method you use, make sure that you balance the game well, so the players don''t have to spend hours killing bunnies just to stand a chance at surviving the next dungeon. they should get enough XP in the course of exploring to survive the next level; i hate nothing more than having to sit for hours before continuing on because the game creator thought everyone loves power-leveling.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
Actually krez that exact method was used in an MMORPG called The Realm made be Sierra. Fighting monsters above your level would yield more exp then lower ones. The amount needed for a level was the same after a certain level I think but its got harder and harder to get that much the better you became. Good for single player games but it gets annoying at high levels when theres nothing more powerful then you and you get wimpy exp for everything. Xp was divided between players if they were grouped. This made it advantageous for high level chars to take newbs out hunting. The newbs would bring in extra xp that would get shared with the high level chars. That promoted team play and such.
heh heh i figured someonebody else would have thought of that, and probably used it in a commercial game... it''s not especially a hard concept to think up but either way, it seems more realistic to me (why the hell would cutting up rodents and slimes do for an experienced swordfighter? and if that is taken into account, it is only fair to reward people who face danger and use all their skill)...
quote:Original post by TechnoHydra
Good for single player games but it gets annoying at high levels when theres nothing more powerful then you and you get wimpy exp for everything.

my game is single player, and if anyone wants to powerlevel they are going to have to find harder creatures to do it with
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I really don''t know why we haven''t seen it used in many games, I would think that there would be other RPGs using variations of it. Anyways, looking forward to seeing that in action krez.
Unless I mis-understand your system, many games already use that system. Dark Age of Camelot for example. A goblin gives 120 xp at level x, and then 80 at x+1. Then later, at x+3, it gives only 1 xp. Even Castlevania X2 used it. This system is really great in my oppinion because it forces the player to explore more.
You can also combine both: that is, the experience per level gets higher each level, and a player gains more exp for battling monsters above his level. Diablo 2 did this, and it used an exponential system for the required experience, I believe it was something like this:

experienceRequired = 100 * 2.25 ^ characterLevel

I''m not sure about the 100 however, but that is something you can change easily.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement