• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrigidHelix

Loading an image into a surface

This topic is 5813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to do something very simple: load an image into a surface, using DirectX8. I have used the function D3DXCreateTextureFromFile() successfully for my textures, but now I need to do the same thing for a surface. I thought of creating a texture, and then accessing its surface, but this seems ineficient. Below is what I have tried, but I get an error (see code comments) when calling D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFile. Some help would really be appreciated in debugging this.

HRESULT hr; // for DirectX return values

IDirect3DSurface8* pSurface = NULL; // Surface to hold height map

D3DXIMAGE_INFO imageInfo; // Information on the height map image

const char strFile[] = "heightmap.bmp";	// Image containing height map

// Find out the image's width and height

D3DXGetImageInfoFromFile( strFile, &imageInfo );

// Create a surface

hr = m_pd3dDevice->CreateImageSurface( imageInfo.Width, imageInfo.Height, D3DFMT_R8G8B8, &pSurface );
if( FAILED(hr) )
	return hr;

// Use D3DX to copy image data into surface

hr = D3DXLoadSurfaceFromFile( pSurface, NULL, NULL, strFile, NULL, 0, 0, &imageInfo );
if( FAILED(hr) )
{
	// The code fails here, with value D3DERR_INVALIDCALL

// Also, if I try to pop up a MessageBox at this point, 

// I get an Unhandled exception: Access Violation

return hr;
}  
The image being loaded (strFile) is valid, and accessible by the program. imageInfo.Width and imageInfo.Height were both 128 when I ran the code (these are the correct dimensions). Perhaps is CreateImageSurface() the wrong function call? I looked through the SDK documentation for ways of creating Surfaces, and that was the best function I could find. The remarks for this function said:
quote:
Image surfaces are place holders, they are surfaces that cannot be used in any Microsoft® Direct3D® operations except locking and IDirect3DDevice8::CopyRects.
These restrictions don't seem to be a problem, since all I want to do is load an image into it, and read its data. edit: tried to fix code formatting edit2: tried to fix code formatting again edit3: again edit4: giving up (WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THE CARRIAGE RETURNS?) Edited by - FrigidHelix on February 23, 2002 6:21:37 PM Edited by - FrigidHelix on February 23, 2002 6:22:55 PM Edited by - FrigidHelix on February 23, 2002 6:24:48 PM Edited by - FrigidHelix on February 23, 2002 6:25:57 PM

Advertisement
but what if you were to do this?

CreateImageSurface

then lock surface
get pitch

d3dxloadsurfacefrommemory

unlock surface

i did this, and it doesn''t seem to work.
any ideas?

a2k

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!