• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jigen

how long will directx be around?

This topic is 6106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i was just wondering how long directx is expected to be around and whether there is something even newer and better coming out on the horizon that would be more worthwhile to learn than directx. a .net thing perhaps? if anyone knows i would appreciate a reply cuz i kind of want the things i learn to last a while.

Advertisement
Your best best right now are either DirectX or OpenGL.
DirectX is versioned at 8.1 right now and is developed by Microsoft, and even though they have money to burn, they and a lot of people have put a lot of investment into it, and it''s not likely that they''re going to drop it anytime soon.

OpenGL is popular also, and has been around quite a while too. Strangely enough, it''s currently supported by almost the same team of people who handle DirectX at Microsoft. Their plan, last I heard was to take everything good from OpenGL, implement it into DirectX (Which becomes really apparent with the new D3D) and then phase out OpenGL altogether.

My dollar is on DirectX being around for a while, or at least long enough to make worth learning if you want to do a game in the next decade.

Maybe that''s just me though.

We''''re sorry, but you don''''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)

WOW. I can''t wait til that hapens. That will be kind of a ISuperCompatibleDirect3D interface

- err, the last signiture sucked bigtime!

erissian, I doubt that would happen. Even though there are Microsoft representatives on the OpenGL board, they aren''t the ONLY members on the board. They could take everything from OpenGL, but it''s highly unlikely they will be able to phase it out.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I hope GL phases DX out. Or at least DX gets ported to other OS. Until then ill stick to GL. Best way to go IMHO.

I think i see a flame war coming. I''d close this if i was a mod.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

Hahahahah! Thanks for the joke. Now you''ve REALLY made me laugh.

The only reason OpenGL is around is because it''s supported on other platforms? Bulls***t.

For starters, OpenGL came first, SO it''s supported on almost all decent computer hardware on the planet. Windows NT supported it when DirectX wasn''t even heard of. And of course, when it appeared DirectX was limited to DirectDraw, for drawing 2D games(a clear evolution from WinG, for example).

Microsoft could just leave OpenGL to do 3D rendering. But, with Direct3D, if they could persuade programmers to use it, they could lock them into another proprietary technology.

Direct3D''s evolution helped it. At first, all 3D boards in the market were very crappy ones, and at the time Direct3D had very few features, so it was easier for board manufacturers to write compatible drivers. OpenGL, on the other hand, was far more complex, being used in workstations like those from Silicon Graphics, was much more mature and complicated, thus harder to implement.

Add this to the fact that most programmers were already familiar to DirectDraw, and Microsoft''s strategy was perfect.

The only reason DirectX exists is because of marketing(anti-Microsoft people would add many more reasons as well).

I''m learning Dx8 in VB, hopefully in C++ soon. What good reasons can you give me to give OpenGL a go as well when DirectX seems to do the job fine? I was thinking of trying OpenGL anyway but I was wondering what the fundamental differences really are.

Opengl has some functionality that directx doesn't. This is good.. and bad... because that functionality is generally vid card specific and requires opengl extensions. I know that with a GF2 I could get allot more run for my money out of the GL nvidia combiner extensions than I do out of the DX texture stages (which are neutered a bit for the sake of compatibility.)

I haven't got the time to dig up extensions and worry about which vid cards my code will run on. But some die hards (umm.. everyone here HAS heard about John Carmack.. right?) don't touch directx because they can get more bang for their buck out of opengl. It's got enough support that it isn't going anyplace.

That also doesn't mention the fact that ogl is implemented on multiple platforms (dx is windows only... and believe it or not there are lots of people who work on other platforms.) Graphics workstations are, last I checked, all OpenGL based as well.

There's also the general api, I'm sure some peopel just find one more comfortable to program than the other. Opengl is purely functional based.

Edited by - Sorrow on February 24, 2002 6:53:46 PM

This topic is 6106 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.