• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gamechampionx

QBasic

This topic is 6076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Dont'' quote me on this, but I think it''s a bit old and unsupported now.

If I were to use a basic variant I''d probably go for Visual Basic, as it can be used with DirectX and OpenGL.

Yes, you can still use QBASIC to program some games. I have seem quite complex stuff, ranging from "Eye of the Beholder" type games to games like Final Fantasy, and even a few RTS. You can play mods and midi (using a QuickBasic midi library), use bitmaps, use sound effects and so on. The only problem is that it may be too slow (but hey, computers are so fast nowaday) and the QBASIC file cannot be more than a certain file (which can be remedied by using QuickBasic).

There are still Internet sites on qbasic (go to Google and check), and a book has been written about advanced QBasic concepts (bitmaps, sound, games programming). It is called "Wrox''s Revoluntionary Guide to QBasic".

You can write games in it but really only dos games.
If you want to write games use C/C++ or Visual Basic (if you want a easier language to write in but its slower).

#define BLOODY_WORK_THIS_TIME;

quote:
Original post by LonelyTower
Yes, you can still use QBASIC to program some games. I have seem quite complex stuff, ranging from "Eye of the Beholder" type games to games like Final Fantasy, and even a few RTS. You can play mods and midi (using a QuickBasic midi library), use bitmaps, use sound effects and so on. The only problem is that it may be too slow (but hey, computers are so fast nowaday) and the QBASIC file cannot be more than a certain file (which can be remedied by using QuickBasic).

There are still Internet sites on qbasic (go to Google and check), and a book has been written about advanced QBasic concepts (bitmaps, sound, games programming). It is called "Wrox''s Revoluntionary Guide to QBasic".

Note that QBasic (free with dos, hidden on the windows cd as qbasic.exe) is not the same QuickBasic (latest version 4.5). QuickBasic must be bought (don''t know if its still available, check microsoft.com). Quickbasic allows you to create standalone exe files, use external lib files (so you can use mouse, midi, soundblaster, faster graphics). It also has a better IDE and help system.

Nothing wrong with using QBasic for fun. www.qbasic.com has tons of source code and resources (dunno if its still up, though). It''s a lot more limited than other languages, but a lot of people enjoy the challenge. If you''re up for that challenge, by all means go for it. Just note that it''s a long dead language and won''t get you hired anyway. Still, loads of fun.

There''s a very good exe compiler for QBasic code, FirstBasic (do a search in google). It doesn''t support QBasic''s subs and functions, and also not the 256 color video mode, but for the rest it''s said to be the fastest basic compiler.

quote:
Original post by gamechampionx
What''s QBasic, and is it any good for games, or anything else, for that matter?

Here''s the correct answer to your question. QBasic is a free version of QuickBasic 4.0 which used to come with DOS 5.0. Now, you can do some pretty neat stuff with it but in QBasic, you''re limited in the number of lines that you can write. I remember having to get QuickBasic Extended 7.0, in order to complete my game as I had reached that limit but I can''t tell you what it is, it''s been 10 or 12 years now, but hey, my friend and I had a pretty cool RPG. ( sorry, I''m ranting a bit. ) Anyhow, all this to say that QBasic could be a start although it is outdated. If you want to try your luck at Basic, use either Blitz Basic or Power Basic or and I say this with all reserve, Dark Basic( which is a Basic layer written over DX, in other word, it''s Basic with Direct X functions built-in ). I would still recommend you start with C/C++ rather than basic, once you grasp the concepts of programming, applying them to any language is just a matter of learning the basics of how the language works.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

Guest Anonymous Poster
QBasic is goo for learn programming. you can write games too. here a link to see what qbasic is able to compile :>

http://qbasic.qb45.com/

( sry for my bad english, im german :/ )

quote:
Original post by Michalson

Note that QBasic (free with dos, hidden on the windows cd as qbasic.exe) is not the same QuickBasic (latest version 4.5).

Wrong dude, Quick Basic eXtended 7.0 ( the latest version I''ve had, and I''m talking a long time ago ) is the latest version. I was known under QBX.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!