How do I program OGL for low-end computers

Started by
4 comments, last by schattentod 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi there! I made a game, and our yearbook group tought it would be nice to pack it on a floppy to go alongside. Problem is, for that my game would have to run on low-end computers, say 300 MHz with mediocre graphics card. The game uses texture mapped quads within a single plane, no depth buffering, no lighting and runs at 640x480x16. However, it does use blending and mipmapping, as well as outline fonts (thought those were better than texture-mapped). What can I do to speed it up somewhat? If OpenGL cannot do this, then what library can? Thanks! -------------------------- Death from the shadows.
--------------------------Death from the shadows.
Advertisement
Have you actually tried to run the game on low end hardware? If so - what are the results? Is it unplayable?

As to improving performance, All you can do is improve your own algorithms
well, if the hardware dont support opengl, then your alternitive is d3d (better supported on older hardware). sorry but thems the breaks.
I''ve tried running it on my mothers 300MHz Celeron with on-board graphics card (a heinous crime, if you ask me). The frame rate was somewhere around 1. Except for that, there was no trouble.

As for d3d, I don''t know anything about it, and I''d really hate to have to learn it. Isn''t there some kind of sprite library that supports transparency?
--------------------------Death from the shadows.
What you''re trying to do is run your OpenGL code on hardware that only supports software rendering, right?

First off, these things will kill performance in software rendering:

High resolution
Linear / trilinear texture filtering
Blending

There are others, but I think those are the worst. Since you''re using alpha blended sprites, you can''t really cut out blending. Try making your program use nearest and nearest mipmap nearest texture filtering.
quote:Original post by schattentod
Isn''t there some kind of sprite library that supports transparency?

I don''t know of it will help, but what about using Targa files with a built-in alphachannel?

''Qui habet aures audiendi audiat'' - Me

A link to the website of my 3D engine will follow as soon as I have something concrete to show... Which will be soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement