• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EagleWarrior

How to make a Local Axis for object?

This topic is 6113 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all i can move the object on the world axis only. I loaded a Fighter.x when i rotate it then move it should move toward where its facing(Front)but it only moves on the z axis. i think im supposed to add a Look,up,Right and pos vectors in the objects Struct. But dont know how i should implement the code in the struct and the frame move function. I tyred using Quaternions but it either Rotates or Translates not both at the same time. i would apreciate any help thxs

Advertisement
Hello, I''m still a beginner myself but I have run into that problem. I''ll try to help. I know this is not the best way but it''s the only way it''s worked for me.

I use the D3D matrix to implement this. I have a member D3DXMATRIX to hold the rotation from frame to frame.
I create a translation matrix prior to drawing the model and call a translate matrix function to increment the Z-Axis Then I build the rotation matrix. Then I multiply the rotation by the translation. after you can then go ahead and call the set transform for the world using the m_matRotate.
[ source ]
//in the app.h
D3DXMATRIX m_matRotate; // member variable matrix to hold the rotation.
float m_fZTranslation; // translation of the z-axis
float m_fRotation;

// in the app.cpp
// constructor or a one-time intit function
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&m_matRotate);

// key handler code
if(VK_UP) // example of incrementing the z-axis
m_fZTranslation+= 1.0f;
if(VK_RIGHT)// rotate
m_fRotation += .03f;

// move character done prior to rendering
D3DXMATRIX matTrans; // temp matrix to hold the tanslation
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matTrans);

//Transform charactrer in the scene
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matTrans,0,0,m_fZTranslation);
D3DXMatrixRotationY(&m_matRotate,m_fRotation ); D3DXMatrixMultiply(&m_matRotate,&m_matTrans,&m_matRotate);

[ /source ]

The reason this works is because the m_matRotate matrix holds the rotaion orientation and the translation position. If you notice the Translate Matrix function only increments the Z-Axis, when this is multiplied to the m_matRotate matrix that already holds the rotation orientation it will move the model where it''s facing.
I hope this could help you. I hope someone else posts with another way cause even though this way works it just doesn''t seem to be the best way.
-w

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!