STOS and AMOS

Started by
5 comments, last by Rickmeister 22 years, 1 month ago
Anyone old enough to remember those two "languages"?? Thats what got me started a loooong long time ago...
Advertisement
I spent quite some time with AMOS once it came out. I think i''m the only one who wrote a full fledged 3d engine with it It supported flat-shading, gouraud and a moving lightsource. Framerate wasnt too great though. Ofcourse this was done without using the crappy amos3d addon.

AMOS was a nice tool to use while you did more "serious" stuff in C or ASM. I used AMOS for experimentation, since it was much faster to alter the source and run it, than spending years to recompile a C source. Before the days of 060 mind you

I think the sources are still available on aminet. (by defect/insane)

- defster
I used AMOS for a couple of years before Blitz Basic was released. Very fond memories.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Certainly do! I was well into 8-bit assembly by the time I moved onto the Amiga, but somehow never got the information/time/equipment to learn M68000. AMOS was the perfect solution for "playing around".

I woould love to see my games running again on an emulator but it seems I have to go to some lengths to read the Amiga disks.

Francois Lionet can now be found here; http://www.clickteam.com/English/

I wrote to europress (the european distributors) around 1994 voicing my support for a "PCOS" I got a reply from them but they were too busy concentrating on "Klik-n-Play" and thought that was the way ahead on the pc. I never looked into though, I thought AMOS was easy enough, without going as low a full blown game creator.

But your right- very fond memories!

Cheers

Matt

Yeah, brings back a lot of memories..
- I remember - I was coding demos in 68000 at the time it came out.

I actually used to work at Europress a fair few years back when they went through their game publisher phase.

Click & Create (the more completely featured version of Klik & Play, also by Francois) was actually used internally on some of the other Europress producrs.

One of the internal Europress programmers was working on an AMOS like system for the PC in his spare time... his name? - Lee Bamber, the product - DarkBASIC. One of the senior producers from Europress, Rick Vanner later joined up with him.

I was mainly subcontracted to Lego at the time (Lee Bamber was working on a different internal product for Lego then too) - the project manager for the Lego projects, Ted Bailey (now manager at Creative Asylum) started his career at Acid software working on the libraries etc for Blitz BASIC!

Its a small, small world!

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

I think that if it wasn't for AMOS then I wouldn't be such a genius programmer.

It really helped me develop my programming practices and code structure.

Great little language.

E

Edited by - Eight on February 25, 2002 4:59:29 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement