How do you implement this?

Started by
1 comment, last by DraK 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi, well I''m writting a game engine (surprise!) and I have a question that don''t let me sleep. I have a class that encapsulates a Mesh. So, now I have to choose: how I store the orientation of my mesh? I see two ways: - Keeping the euler angles: rotation around the 3 local axises. So I could rotate the object unsing something like: rotateX(rotx); rotateY(roty); rotateZ(rotz); The problem is that the order of rotation is significant another problem: I have to rotate the mesh around its local axises, and I don''t know why (any ideas?). - The other way could be keeping the object''s transform matrix, annd instead of having three angles I''d have 3 vectors determining the orientation of the local axises. The question is: What is the best way to do that? How do you implement that? Any idea to rotate my object locally?? Thanx.
Advertisement
Storing a matrix would work, but you would slowly accumulate errors due to rounding. You can fix that by occasionally recalibrating them. I recommend you research quaternions.
I''ll research quaternions, but there is any other method? How do you implemented that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement