• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kevin_r

Engine design

This topic is 5933 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quick question for all of you with game engines in the works. How do most of you incorporate your engine into your game? do you completly seporate it into a dll or just link it up into you game? Thanks Kevin

Advertisement
I like to make the engine an integral part of the game, so there''s minimal loss of overhead due to linking procedures and the like.

Another thing I''ve done is use a semi data-driven architecture, so all the object types and mechanisms in the game are hardcoded, and their placement and individual characteristics are read from file.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!

I have it in a separate DLL, and use a single interface exported from that DLL that controls it. I find that this makes it easy to use, and extreamly easy to add it to other projects...

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

I use a COM-like interface, and many dll (a sort of plug-in system) loaded dynamically at will.
It increase the compile time, you don''t have to recompile all file each time.

I use abstract class, but the performance hit is around 1e-12 or more less.

Jester, studient programmer
The Jester Home in French

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!