Player-made Content

Started by
2 comments, last by Someone1 22 years, 1 month ago
How good are the general gamers at content creation? I don''t know much about this but it seems to me that games like Quake and UT do just fine by relying on their players for making new maps, weapons and such. For example, when you guys play quake or UT and there is lots of player-made levels, skins, etc., do they look worse than the stuff that comes with the game? Does player-made content cause a drop in graphical quality?
Advertisement
i don''t understand, but www.polycount.com you can find a really good models, and really bad (shix) models.

-----------------------------------------------

"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
You can find some really good player created content, but in general it is not as good as the content from professionals. Professionals do this stuff 40+ hours a week while I doubt many players can afford to invest that kind of time. Player created content is definitely a welcome addition though.

--
http://www.3dcgi.com/
The most important aspect of player-made content is the creativity that it expresses. If the game''s engine is sufficiently flexible, players can take the game in directions the designers never though of (see CounterStrike). If the player creation is sufficiently enjoyable, someone with greater artistic will probably refine it or be inspired by it, resulting in professional-looking player-made content.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement