Good old Dos Gfx

Started by
1 comment, last by zaphod 24 years, 2 months ago
I cant find any info/tutorials on 2d, 256 colour art of the type seen all the classic top down scrolling shooters of the mid 90''s. Is there any, or should I start working in 16bit colour? How many colours did ''Raptor'' use? Thats the kind of look I''m after.
Advertisement
There are alot of tricks you can use when using 256 color mode. Rotating palettes to simulate movement, and fades/swipes are fairly easily preformed with 256 mode. Personaly I prefer the look of 16bit graphics even though 256 colors offers some benefits. I believe "Raptor" used 32 or 24 bit mode for that tutorial on how to make a space ship. You can easily knock that 32 or 24bit image down to 16bit color with out major loss of quality though.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
do a search for the PC Game Programmer''s Encyclopedia...there are a number of tutorials written about graphics, Mode X, etc

-----------------------------------------
Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!
----------------------------------------Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement