• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows2000

This topic is 5903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is not really a programming question, but maybe some of you know how to do this. I wanrt to change windows2000 in such a way that when it starts it does not load the explorer but the program(s) that i want to be started at the start-up. So that a user cannot enter the desktop and explorer and thus cannot break anything. Which file(.ini???) is the file which windows use at the start-up or is there any other way to do this

Advertisement
The quick and dirty way is to put shortcuts to whatever you want to start inside "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu"

There are also a couple of "run once" registry keys.

As for locking down the desktop, I would consult groups.google and then ask in the appropriate MS newsgroup. I've also seen some postings from librarians regarding how to lock down the desktop, but it's been a while.

Also consult these links:

www.windows2000faq.com
www.ntsecurity.net
Windows NT Desktop Restrictions
This last site has a ton of practical advice.

Edited by - lessbread on February 25, 2002 4:01:37 AM

My guess is that the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell determines what shell is loaded. You might look into some of the other keys in that hive as well.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

In MSDN look up Q143164.

It''s talking about replacing the shell with internet explorer, but the concept is the same. There was another topic I remember seeing that explained the issues of replacing explorer as the shell, but I can''t seem to find it now.

• Advertisement