Windows2000

Started by
2 comments, last by Pillejunior 22 years, 1 month ago
This is not really a programming question, but maybe some of you know how to do this. I wanrt to change windows2000 in such a way that when it starts it does not load the explorer but the program(s) that i want to be started at the start-up. So that a user cannot enter the desktop and explorer and thus cannot break anything. Which file(.ini???) is the file which windows use at the start-up or is there any other way to do this
Advertisement
The quick and dirty way is to put shortcuts to whatever you want to start inside "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu"

There are also a couple of "run once" registry keys.

As for locking down the desktop, I would consult groups.google and then ask in the appropriate MS newsgroup. I've also seen some postings from librarians regarding how to lock down the desktop, but it's been a while.

Also consult these links:

www.windows2000faq.com
www.ntsecurity.net
Windows NT Desktop Restrictions
This last site has a ton of practical advice.

Edited by - lessbread on February 25, 2002 4:01:37 AM
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
My guess is that the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell determines what shell is loaded. You might look into some of the other keys in that hive as well.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
In MSDN look up Q143164.

It''s talking about replacing the shell with internet explorer, but the concept is the same. There was another topic I remember seeing that explained the issues of replacing explorer as the shell, but I can''t seem to find it now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement