• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Racing Tracks

This topic is 5836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I'm fairly new to programming games, but figured it would be a more interesting avenue of work compared to high level security systems that I previously programmed I've seemed to run into a dilema in regards to level design. I already have all my physics created for a racing game I'm currently building, but have no idea how I should build my tracks in regards to format. ie. are bsp's okay for tracks? Should I use matrices instead? What is the industry using in general for racing games????? Any help would be very warmly received. Thanks in advance, Lazarus404 Edited by - lazarus404 on February 25, 2002 4:49:27 AM

Advertisement
It depends on your game.

If it is a fairly open ended game, that lets you go offroading and exploring, then I would guess that you want some sort of landscape engine, probably using quadtrees and terrain tiles.

If the player is going to be restricted to the track, then the racetrack is essentially a closed loop tunnel. I''d say a BSP tree would be better for this sort of thing.

You may have better luck with this question in the Graphics Programming and Theory Forum.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

quote:
Original post by Wavinator
You may have better luck with this question in the Graphics Programming and Theory Forum.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

Okay.... Does this guy need glasses???

What part of the forum do you think this is in???

Hmmm. Moderator? I think we need to raise the font size in this place! Lmao :D

Oh, you are the moderator. Oops, I feel sheepish. Please Nooooooo, don't punish me. I'm soooorrryyyyy.

Lazarus404

Edited by - lazarus404 on February 26, 2002 4:50:09 AM

quote:
Original post by Lazarus404
Okay.... Does this guy need glasses???

What part of the forum do you think this is in???

You originally posted it in game design. Wav moved it here.

Edited by - Sandman on February 26, 2002 6:03:43 AM

• Advertisement