Where to start?

Started by
4 comments, last by mephistopheles 22 years, 1 month ago
Hello everyone, I''m new both here and to the game-coding scene. I''d just like your advice on how to begin getting into game coding, i''ve been programming since i was about 13 (i''m 16) but that''s only ever been pretty boring stuff, nothing to be proud of. I''ve got experience in HTML and Flash ActionScript (languages?) and BASIC, but obviously these are pretty useless. Recently i''ve been dabbling in Delphi 5, and it came to my attention when i searched the net that Delphi has been used to create games. I''m afraid when i sit and take in the Delphi IDE, i don''t get flashes of inspiration to make games.. it seems to me to be a very Windows-Business-App-ish environment. Come to think of it, i can''t imagine sitting with any Windows programming tool and creating a game. . . I''m really interested in coding games now, i just don''t know where to start. What process did you people go through to get where you are? Any tips would be appreciated. /|/|ephistopheles --- ''''the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn''''t exist''''
---''the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn''t exist''
Advertisement
The process I used was simple - read everything about game development I could get my hands on. You might want to start with the articles on this site. Also, you might want to learn C++ (you didn''t mention that you knew it, so I''m assuming you don''t) since it''s pretty much the standard for game development. Pick up Andre LaMothe''s Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. It''s a pretty good starting point.

Breakaway Games

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I don't know C++ at all, but i read somewhere (on this site?) that it's similar to Pascal..? (delphi) heh or am i hoping against hope?

My brother knows C/C++/Pascal etc because of his previous job, and i've found a book of his entitled 'C - The Complete Reference Second Edition' by Herbert Schildt, which also covers C++ and ANSI C. It's quite good according to the cover (lol), so i think i'll start there.

Cheers

---
''the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn''t exist''

Edited by - mephistopheles on February 25, 2002 11:05:25 AM
---''the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn''t exist''
you dont need to work in C++ to create a good game, VB, Delphi, etc are all sufficient

you just need to approach your project in a positive way,

Create a form, Drop a Picturebox onit, then blit some raw images into the displaybox

make the form appear full screen & you''ll get the idea

VC++ will present the same problem to you, infact more so, as c++ is a harder syntax to understand

well whatever way you choose , i wish you luck
yup yup yup
blit....display box...?

What do these mean?
I''d say begin with that C book of yours (I mean your brother''s).

It''s hard enough to make games. You don''t want to make your life infinitely harder to use Delphi. I haven''t come across any game development articles in Delphi and I think tutorials and the like are very important.

I think that there''s a book or something but the safest bet is to go with C/C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement