• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dammit

Terrain

This topic is 5319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering how terrain could be generated, not from a fps pov but from a strategy/army game pov. Like Shogun or similar. So you can see a great distance and fly around the map god-like with a free-camera view. The maps, as I understand it, wouldn't have to be hugely big (due to the relative scale of the people populating it) yet have good lod? Also, would it be possible to have two levels of terrain? Just like a cliff face has concave sections so there's an overhang like: ---- | _> |_ > / / | (it looks like a cliff face in my head!) Any articles you could point me to, cos the ones on this site went straight over my head :S I'd also prefer answers wrt OpenGL, if poss. tia, dammit Edited by - dammit on February 25, 2002 11:30:56 AM

Advertisement
plus there are tuts over at NeHe and gametutorials.com about rendering heightmaps, should be a good start. Plus over at gametutorials he has alot of camera tutorials, which could help with your free movement. As for ROAM, that is what i am preparing to do with my terrain, hopefully...later-

what we do in life... echoes in eternity...

Thanks guys, I''ll keep reading up... What about the double platform problem? Heightmaps represent only one level of height, what happens when you need to have two vertices above each other? Like my previous cliff-face question?

I''m not sure whether I''m explaining it properly mind.

tia,

dammit

Thanks guys, I''ll keep reading up... What about the double platform problem? Heightmaps represent only one level of height, what happens when you need to have two vertices above each other? Like my previous cliff-face question?

I''m not sure whether I''m explaining it properly mind.

tia,

dammit

Hmm, I'm getting into this now. Your solution works fine if I just want two levels to my terrain, like an `upstairs/downstairs` scenario. But a cliff face could have 10s of vertices with the same x,z values and just different y values. So, here's a thought (although potentially unimplementable, I wouldn't know):
Define your usual height map but allow for a deliberate non-gradual gradient from high to low where a second heightmap could be assigned. This heightmap would be as wide as the cliff face and as long as it's height. So you'd have 1 heightmap for the overall x,z terrain and then assign n amount of other heightmaps for the y,z plane to be used for the cliff-face, yeah? Basically, a cliff-face is just a heightmap in the y,z plane isn't it? I'm not sure whether you'll get what I'm babbling about so I might try and draw some diagrams. I reckon it could work.

tia,

dammit

Edited by - dammit on February 25, 2002 4:08:51 PM

I am not sure if the need for two heightmaps would be necessary to gain a cliff, you could accomplish this with some good texturing i think, though it may be tricky. You may not have exactly what you are talking about, meaning having the verticies directly over verticies, but i think you could simulate a steep cliff with just a regular heightmap.
One way to do this is to calculate steepness of a mountain, and if it is steep enough, say 90 degrees for a cliff, you could apply a texture to it.
THere is a good technique called procedural texture generation, go here to learn about it

http://www.flipcode.com/tutorials/tut_proctext.shtml

I have implemented this into my terrain project, and i like it alot,
and here is another article which may help too.

http://www.flipcode.com/tutorials/tut_terrtex.shtml

Dont know if that is what you are lookin for, but i think one heitmap is the way to go, later-

what we do in life... echoes in eternity...

Thanks for the articles, I''ll check them out. I''m not after a realistic cliff face from a merely aesthetic perspective, I''m wanting it from a gameplay perspective. Without having the ability to have two vertices (more preferably) parallel in the x,z plane you cannot have a cave in said cliff face or an overhang. Cliff faces cannot be 90 degress or more, like | or /, because of the heightmap. Putting a detailed texture over it is sufficient for the aesthetic is fine but for tactical gameplay reasons it falls short. I think I''ll write an article on my idea and post it in this thread cos I''m pretty sure I haven''t explained myself correctly :/
Anyway, cheers for taking the time to help,

tia,

dammit

I''m not sure if this''ll work at all (just came to me while reading the posts. It seems like what might work best, would be not two heightmaps, but three. If you''ve ever seen an architect, or engineer, or 3D modeler''s layouts, they include a top, side, and front view... with these three views, they can reprisent the model exactly.

However, if you implement your system this way, you''re going to have to make sure the maps are consistant (meaning they line up, and are to scale with eachother) or you''ll end up with an ucky map that just wont look right.

Again, I have never implemented a system even CLOSE to this, I''m just trying to problem solve here. It sounds interesting though, let me know if you try this method, I''l love to see it in action.

-Lonely

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!