• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mulligan

What is .NET?

This topic is 5989 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I go to msdn.microsoft.com and all I see is ".Net is great! .Net is powerful!. You''ll love .NET!" Great....what the heck is it?

Advertisement
I think the rationale for the Mono project sums it up pretty well(Read the paragraphs "Microsoft''s .NET", "The Common Language Infrastructure platform" and "ECMA standards"): http://www.go-mono.com/rationale.html
The official .NET site is www.gotdotnet.com
You could also search for some of the other threads that have been on this question lately - someone asks this question roughly once a week.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

Do you know if you can compile a .NET program to run without the .NET Framework? For example, something programmed with C#.

From what I've read in the article posted above, it would appear you have to have the .NET Framework.

Edited by - JohnG on February 26, 2002 10:19:39 AM

A couple of my colleagues recently went to a seminar on .NET. Apparently, its greatest pro's are the fact that everything works on a powerful network/internet structure and that all the new MS languages, ie VB.NET C#.NET etc. are all as powerful as each other, though the low level languages are still faster.

Great news for VB programmers

Lazarus404

Edited by - lazarus404 on February 26, 2002 10:23:40 AM

quote:
Original post by JohnG

Do you know if you can compile a .NET program to run without the .NET Framework? For example, something programmed with C#.

No - you need the end user to have the framework installed, in the same way Java apps need the JRE. The redistributable is a ~19 meg package, as opposed to the SDK which is ~130 meg.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu'l-Ala-Al-Ma'arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

Edited by - Arild Fines on February 26, 2002 12:26:53 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!