• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bobby

OpenGL NeHe OpenGL Lesson 1 question

This topic is 6076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

All, Hi.. I''m am very new to OpenGL programming so I am studying the NeHe tutorials. I have a question regarding the first tutorial. I have successfully coded and compiled lesson1.cpp in Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. The program runs fine except when I switch the window to FUll screen mode. When I do this I get the "Can''t Create A GL Rendering Context" message box. Since I''m not exactly sure what a Redering Context is, I don''t know how to debug this. I have typed in the code myself and downloaded the MVCPP version from the NeHe website and both versions of the program give me the same error. Could this be a hardware problem? I am not sure what graphics card I have, but I know OpenGL programs run on my computer because I''ve successfully run programs from the OpenGL superbible CD. Is there a way of determining what graphics card I have? Or a way to know if I have a conflict of some sort? Why would I only having problems in Full Screen Mode? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. Bobby P.S. Oh I am running a Gateway Solo Pentium III laptop with Windows 98.

Advertisement
On one of my machines I have a voodo 3 and it does the same thing, could it be possible that you have a voodoo card in your computer? But its running WindowsME so I''m not sure if the OS would be the problem, but it might.

I believe you shouldn''t even make a RC when you switch from fullscreen to windows or vise versa... maybe you included a piece ''o code in the wrong place? (Maybe I am wrong tho )

''Qui habet aures audiendi audiat'' - Me

A link to the website of my 3D engine will follow as soon as I have something concrete to show... Which will be soon.

This problem arises when you create the RC, but your program abnormally terminates before the RC can be released on a previous compile resulting in you having to restart the system. I think Subotron's reply should help with the window to full screen problem.

Edited by - rgirard413 on February 25, 2002 1:29:42 PM

Hey guys thanks for the help. I put an if statement on the fullscreen variable to make sure that an RC only gets created and activated while the program is in window mode, i.e. (fullscreen == False). This seems to work fine. I''m sure as I learn more about the OpenGL I will understand this better, but it seems to work for now.
Thanks again.
Bobby

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!