Game Designer Approach?

Started by
1 comment, last by -Kytis- 24 years, 1 month ago
I am wanting to become a game designer and have read a couple articles about getting into the industry but most have only been about the approach from a programmers point of view. My question is what is the best approach to getting into the game industry and into the role of a game designer. I have heard get familiar with how levels are laid out, and stuff like that. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot. -KYTIS-
-KYTIS-
Advertisement
To get into the game industry as a designer, you must..
euh...
design :o)
Make levels, make them available on the internet.
Work on MOD for Half life or you''re favorite game...
If you make a good job, you''ll be known and when having a interview (unsure of the term) you could show up your stuff.

It''s the way a friend of mine get into the industry, after having worked on Duke Nukem Atomic pack.
(don''t remember which pack ;o)

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Have to agree with Ingenu here. If you want to get in...design! Putting MOD, or whatever, on the net is good, but don't sit around and wait for some gamecompany to call you. Design something, anything that has something to do with games, put it on a CD and show your portfolio for companies.

I'm not sure what kind of designer your aming at, programmer, artist, musician or whatever. Ok, it's always good to have a nice educational background, looks good on paper, but showing something you actually have done that's the important thing! Make yourself heard, stand out, show your work, that's my advice.

Edited by - Mr K on 2/18/00 5:16:42 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement