• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SonShadowCat

What exactly is Sin, Cosine, and tangent and what are they used for?

This topic is 6018 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this may sound very stupid but in all honesty i have no idea what these things are and how and why they are used in games can someone plz enlighten me ty "Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose."- SSC the Super Saiyan Cat Edited By - SonShadowCat on Your Girlfriends Birthday

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
They are trigonometric functions that you can use to find missing parts of a triangle. So if you have 2 sides of a triangle and one angle, you can figure out the other 2 angles and the other side.

Those are transcendental functions used for relating the various angles and sides of a triangle - aka Trigonometry. For best results consult on online math web site. Sorry, don''t have a link handy, but I''m sure someone else will provide one here soon.

but why are they used in games...
i mean when would you ever need to use this in a game, ive seen cos being used for wavy effects(nehe tuts) but wouldnt you know everything you need to know about the triangles you created

"Those who serve no purpose, have no purpose."- SSC the Super Saiyan Cat

Edited By - SonShadowCat on Your Girlfriends Birthday

I tend to find them most useful when dealing with a game that involves a player or object like the ship in asteroids. The ship has some angle "a" expressed in radians. But when you accelerate, you need to know how much velocity to add to the x and y components of the velocity. That''s where sin and cos come in.

dx=dx + cos(a)
dy=dy - sin(a)

(I use "-sin" instead of "+sin" because computers'' coordinate systems are upside-down compared to mathematical coordinate systems.)

It''s also handy in drawing a circle

begin loop a from 0 to pi*2 (in small steps)
draw point at (CenterX + cos(a) * radius,
CenterY - sin(a) * radius)
Next a

"All you need to do to learn circular logic is learn circular logic"

that site lost me on the fourth of fifth page ><

this paragraph especially confused me:

The other common measurement for angles is radians. For this measurement, consider the unit circle (a circle of radius 1) whose center is the vertex of the angle in question. Then the angle cuts off an arc of the circle, and the length of that arc is the radian measure of the angle. It is easy to convert between degree measurement and radian measurement. The circumference of the entire circle is 2 ( is about 3.14159), so it follows that 360° equals 2 radians. Hence, 1° equals /180 radians, and 1 radian equals 180/ degrees.

what in blazes is this dude talking about?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wait until your high school trig course. This will all be understandable then.

If you don''t know why you need cosine, chances are you aren''t doing anything that requires it.

well in the nehe tuts ive seen sin and cos and i would like to know what they are for and when and how to use them

i mean isnt trigonometry just for triangles???

what is meant by an arc of a circle and arc length?
maybe if i knew these things i would be better able to understand the site that was given

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!