• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Genu: The Future

This topic is 5894 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want just say this, genu is the future. It will revolutionize the world. It will help more on programming logic than anything else. Who is with me?

Advertisement
All it is is 3d flow chart, right? [url]http://www.gel.ulaval.ca/~dumais01/genu/[/url]

Edited by - grady on February 25, 2002 11:26:51 PM

What do you actually know about Genu?

I just took a look at the site, and I think it''s a fascinating idea. A lot more work has to be done on homogenizing the interface, though, because as it stands Genu would actually slow me down. Genu also has to get to the point of being able to directly interface with a compiler rather than having the IDE (MSVC) manage the workspace. For example, it should be able to generate .dsw and .dsp files (for MSVC), invoke CL.EXE and LINK.EXE; or generate a makefile and invoke GCC (at the very least). Borland support can come whenever().

In fact, I might volunteer to do just that for them - probably over the summer when I''ll have fewer projects.

I''d also like to see more GUI-centric coding. It''s cool to drag blocks around, but then having to type in even the most trivial of functions - and see butt-ugly formatted code! (Aesthetics are major to me).

This is not a rant or criticism. It''s more like a wishlist.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

I like Genu because it sows me what is connected to each other and takes the geuss work off of ''How am i to implement this?''. I find it extremely useful.

quote:

I''d also like to see more GUI-centric coding. It''s cool to drag blocks around, but then having to type in even the most trivial of functions - and see butt-ugly formatted code! (Aesthetics are major to me).

This is my biggest gripe about things like Rational Rose. It''s a very useful tool for everything but code generation. I end up printing out the UML specifications and then typing the code in by hand.

Take care,
Bill

quote:
Original post by Siebharinn
This is my biggest gripe about things like Rational Rose. It''s a very useful tool for everything but code generation. I end up printing out the UML specifications and then typing the code in by hand.

I''ve thought the same thing. Plus, I can''t afford ~$5,000 just for Rose, so I''ve been toying with the idea of writing a piecewise UML-to-source converter. I''m still looking at the available options (Dia is FUGLY!, and Kivio is Linux-only and still too immature).

quote:
Original post by Andrew Nguyen
I like Genu because it sows me what is connected to each other and takes the geuss work off of ''How am i to implement this?''. I find it extremely useful.

I realize that, and I think it''s a strength of Genu. But if you''ve been programming for a good while (and not just games, but projects which force you into good development/software engineering habits) then it''s not so significant. In fact, it becomes a distraction (since you already have UML Class and Collaboration Diagrams, Use Cases and so forth).

I definitely think it''s a good idea.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

I know there is an interpreted programming lang. that uses nodes to represent functions, and you type code into it like an RAD. It used a GUI to show boxes with code in it. Now if we could do that for C/C++!
(Oh yeah, it''s Ugly not Fugly)

quote:
Original post by Andrew Nguyen
I want just say this, genu is the future. It will revolutionize the world. It will help more on programming logic than anything else. Who is with me?

What the hell does it offer me that other tools don''t already?

For looking at the class hierarchy and so on, both traditional UML tools and the object browser in my IDE are superior.

Traditional UML tools already let me type in code and have it automagically generate the skeleton (or more) for me. Though frankly, I''d prefer to type code into my IDE, because things like autocomplete are so useful.

What does Genu actually offer that''s valuable?

• Advertisement