Genu: The Future

Started by
12 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by DrPizza
What the hell does it offer me that other tools don''t already?
You sure know how to ask nicely .

Advertisement
quote:Original post by DrPizza
What the hell does it offer me that other tools don''t already?

If you''re an experienced developer, nothing. Nix. Nada. Null.

If you''re a beginner-to-tweener, Genu would seem very attractive because it allows you to easily organize portions of code and structure your application. Unfortunately, this is probably the future because tools that lower the bar are a good thing. Why unfortunately? A lot of unnecessary overhead (OpenGL graphics) and the strengthening of the perception that little technical skill is necessary to be a good programmer.

I''ll stick with my IDE for the forseeable future. By the time Genu becomes mainstream, I should have retired to politics.
I looked at the website and I''d have to agree with Oluseyi''s assesment.

It really doesn''t add anything. And tools like this, including Rational Rose, often do not scale well.

Sure it is great for simple examples or isolated parts of a software system, but as soon as you try to work on your big project that has millions of lines of code - well then they tend to fall down.

I have tried many times to get Rational Rose to reverse engineer code at work - and I could spend literally weeks on trying to tweak the project so that it could analyze our source code - which wasn''t really cost effective for me.

On the other hand - I have used it when working on new design specs. But sometimes I still write the files and then have Rose analyze just the files for my design spec.

Although I''d say that it probably isn''t that good for a beginner either - at least if you use Rose or some other UML tool you are using something that generates a standard that other folks understand. The diagram notation of UML is very rich and capable of expressing lots of information.

Plus there is no substitute for internally conceptualizing what occurs in the program.
If this tool helps you do that, fine, but it might not help everyone - just like some people have a hard time with or are resistant to UML.

quote:Original post by Andrew Nguyen
I know there is an interpreted programming lang. that uses nodes to represent functions, and you type code into it like an RAD. It used a GUI to show boxes with code in it. Now if we could do that for C/C++!

That would possibly be the Intentional Programming system.

--
Cats cannot taste sweets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement