• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elis-cool

Is TOTWGPG too outdated?

This topic is 5959 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m thinking of buying this book but as it uses directX 5 i''m a little worryed... I dont mind that its directdraw and not direct 3D becuase you have to learn 2d before 3D but is the version too old to be any good? would I be better to get a directX 8 book, but TOTWGPG has lots of extra needed info as well... I need help...

Advertisement
It''s not too outdated. I have Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice sitting next to me on the desk right now (it was printed in 1990; the 2nd edition came in ''92). Another of my favorite graphics texts is Computer Graphics: A Programming Approach, published in 1987! The algorithms, techniques and concepts are still relevant, and you can bring yourself up to speed on the code in no time once you have a sound theoretical grasp.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

It is a little outdated but updated code can be found easily so you don''t have to worry about a thing.

Also the book includes other useful stuff on AI and physics. They''re really just simple introductions but they tell you what you need to learn and sometimes even where.

It is useful though he gets a little long winded at times. Though I do that too...

Guest Anonymous Poster
i dont have the book, so i cant comment on that. But theres hardly any major differences between the direct draw(2D) part of dx5 and dx7, so i wouldnt worry about that.

The thing with TOTWGPG is that although the DirectX (and to some extent perhaps the Win32) aspects of it will obviously become outdated, it has all the AI, physics and general game programming info that will never become outdated, because it won''t change very much (especially the physics).

I''ve now moved on to OpenGL as opposed to DirectX, but I still refer to TOTWGPG for information. In fact, just the other day, I needed some info on matrices for a 3D matrix manipulation algorithm I was writing. I looked in TOTWGPG, and there was what I needed.

When I look in there for the physics modelling I''m going to be doing in a few months, the data in there will still be as fresh as it was when the book was written...

iNsAn1tY - the place where imagination and the real world merge...
Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle - Now updated!

BTW, it uses DirectX 6, not 5. Anyway, I agree with what the others have said. If it were *just* a DirectX book, I''d recommend against it, but it has the most complete coverage of other basic game programming subjects, so it''s still useful.

I agree with the other replys. I bought the same book a few weeksd ago as I am new to DirectX. Even though the book uses DirectX 6, I installed the DirectX 7 SDK, and am using that with the book. Once you get over the first few chapters, the SDK specific stuff is finished and he gets into AI, physics etc...

Well worth a purchace. I have already written a game with the aid of this book.

One work of warning. Totally ignore its bitmap loading routines, they are a load of crap and are very difficult to get to work. Search the web and you will get better ideas.

Giant

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I''m not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

It''s not too outdated. Once you know the API, it''s really easy to read about updates and things from different places. And also, as others have said, the book talks about a lot of game programming concepts that are very useful regardless of what API or what version of that API you''re using.

I would recommend getting it. After you finish it, get the SDK for one of the newer versions and read the docs or find a website and you should be able to pick up the changes fairly easily.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!