• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C++ static_cast

This topic is 5898 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This should be an easy question to answer I'm trying to cast using the C++ static_cast keyword instead of the C way of doing it. Here is the C method which works fine:

FileInput.read(( char * ) &BMPInput, sizeof( BMPInput ) );

But I get this error when trying to use the C++ keyword: error C2440: 'static_cast' : cannot convert from 'class CBmp *' to 'char *' Note: CBmp is my own class Here is my line of code that creates the error:

FileInput.read(static_cast<char *>(&BMPInput), sizeof( BMPInput ) );

Edited by - JohnG on February 26, 2002 2:05:54 AM

Advertisement
static_cast is not meant for that, it is meant for conversion between types for which a conversion exists.

what you want is reinterpret_cast

it will work fine, as it is meant for casting between pointers of different types, or between pointers and integers.

Edited by - Smoogle on February 26, 2002 2:18:58 AM

On the same topic...

I haven''t been able to find a way to use a C++ style-cast to do this conversion for me=].

From void* to HWND*, it only seems to work with a c-style cast. I used all four c++-style casts, and they all complain about the wrong types =/

Guest Anonymous Poster
I could be wrong but isn''t HWND already a pointer? If it is, say, a void *, you''re then trying to convert a void* to a void**.

FileInput.read(static_cast<BMPInput *>(&BMPInput), sizeof( BMPInput ) );  

Edited by - frikkasoft on February 26, 2002 5:03:26 AM

To Anonymous Poster: Yes, that''s right... But I pass a void* the ADDRESS OF A HWND (I know it''s bad design, but it''s just for testing how c++ casts work), and you can''t dereference a void pointer, so I need to convert from void* to HWND*

• Advertisement