Rich Carlson talks about game writing/writers

Started by
42 comments, last by Tacit 22 years, 1 month ago
From the Costikyan article to which Tacit refers:
quote:And yet even at their best, graphic adventures have flaws. They try to provide an illusion of player free will, but ultimately they are linear stories. A player may have freedom to move about a constrained space and solve the puzzles there in a variety of ways, but the designers control access to the next story node. Graphic adventures try to avoid branching structures that require them to create media assets many players won''t see, for the obvious reason that budgets are limited; if something is on the disc, you want players to encounter it.

As I am at the concept phase of designing an adventure game, I''ve encountered this dilemma too. I have to agree with Tacit. I think that Costikyan is too extreme in his views. Look at what he says about emotion further down in the article. This is clearly someone with an appreciation for mathematics and order, but denying the fact that his enjoyment of music comes from the emotions it brings, whether it''s some bombastic Dvorak or the tempered cleverness of Bach.

Is story just a crutch for games that aren''t good enough to make it on playability alone? I''m insulted by those pushers of completely free RPGs, who say that you create your own story out of the things you do in the game. So what? Maybe I''m playing so I can be entertained by someone''s vision, not just pushing about variables in a world. You can''t just place an interesting medieval or dystopia setting and expect it to "generate" stories. Stories are crafted like art.
Advertisement
Well, I am biased and I freely admit it, but I think Costikyan is purposefully close-minded in his article. There are so many things I disagree with in it, I don''t know where to begin. Generally though, I have to say the most disappointing part of th whole thing is the realization that people like him, who are in positions of authority and influence in the industry, are continuing to perpetuate these attitudes which, in my opinion (and maybe only mine) are one of the reasons we have such cookie cutter titles that offer little or no entertainment value.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
In all honesty (and of course my opinion) the thing that makes a great game is the story. Is the game involving, does it pull you into the game, does it stike you, does it harp you, does it touch you. Sure, the graphics in a game help, but are you gonna play some highly graphical childs game, opposed to a greatly written game with sucky graphics, or even no graphics at all (text based game--some of which have excellent stories).
Well, there seems to be a standard format to most types of games that already warrants the existance of a story. I''m talking the stage-level structure where you get to visit each area in the game in sequential order. No one every complained about these games being too linear, so I don''t see why putting story at the space between the levels would automatically qualify it as too linear. I think whats really at play here is that Pen and Paper RPG players just don''t like console rpgs.

Will Bubel

Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement