where are the basics anyway?

Started by
3 comments, last by destrier 22 years ago
:> where can I learn about the ins and outs of opengl with out going through the source code my self? :> Glut is a great tool and a great way to start learning graphics. But there are no substitutes for the basics. I use a lot of high level libraries as well and am constantly frustrated with bugs that I do not understand because I don''t understand the way the libraries function. Understanding the framework on which opengl is built could help a lot. But let''s be realistic: The reason people like me never learn the basics is because there is no good resources out there for learning the stuff. Cash management and binary math...how many decent searches will you come up with on google with key words like that. Not many believe me I''ve tried. Perhaps we can pointlessly spend our money on books that cost 50-100$ a pop and half the time only end up with half the info we need to get the job done. further more whoever has the knowledge to write these texts are so damn brilliant that you can''t even understand what they are talking about. :> where can I learn about the ins and outs of opengl with out going through the source code my self? :>
Advertisement
Ok, I dunno about anyone else, but I got completely confused while reading this post (it might just be the medicine I''m on though... )...

If you mean, you just want to learn the basics of OpenGL, go over to NeHe''s site. He has everything needed there to get started with OpenGL!

Trent (ShiningKnight)
THE Engine
ShiningKnight7@hotmail.com
I started as a complete newbie and I came on nehe''s site.

Lesson 1, the first time I read it. I really didn''t understand it. But now, I could write it myself..

Just read and read and read and ask. Someday you will understand it
If you want to learn OpenGL get OpenGL game programming by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle
its the best OGL book ever. I think NeHE is not a good site for learning OpenGL , you dont
learn much by looking at source code.

Anyways heres a link to a fairly good intro to OpenGL
http://cscene.org/CS5/CS5-03.html
I understand what he means. It is for the same reasons that I ended up learning x86 assembly language. I need to know how everything works right down to the nitty gritty details before I feel comfortable with it.

I believe the original post is really asking for a general overview of how OpenGL accomplishes its tasks, not how to use it. Unfortunately there is no definite answer since there are many different implementations. Writing your own 3D graphics engine which does not use any API (OpenGL,DX,etc).

--Drew Vogel
Regards,Drew Vogel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement