New Source Code Control

Started by
19 comments, last by Shannon Barber 22 years ago
Wow you''re fast . I always check my links in posts and noticed this one didn''t work.

It''s really weird. I can''t link to the image file directly, so I created an html file that pointed to the image. First I did it like this: "img src=http://www.geocities.com... and so on and that didn''t work either. So I had to change it to this: "img src=wrong-sourcebox.png ...

So look for the image here.
Advertisement
what scrollbars? I see nothing different, long comments still mess the width of the page

(using Netscape 4.79, I know the new features are there in IE)
quote:Original post by soehrimnir
Btw, I am using Konqueror in KDE 2.2.2 in linux. And in mozilla it didn''t work either (same problem).
So, can someone please do anything about this, because this way I can''t possible read any threads anymore that contain source code.

I see the scroll bars in Mozilla 0.9.9. They look fine in every other way in Mozilla too. They worked in Konqueror 2.2.2 last time I checked, but you''re right about them being a little weird now (no background). I don''t get the overlapping text thing though.

quote:Original post by soehrimnir
Btw, I am using Konqueror in KDE 2.2.2 in linux. And in mozilla it didn''t work either (same problem).
Hmm... I use Mozilla (for Windows) and it works perfectly. Anyone else using Mozilla in Linux seeing this problem?
quote:Original post by Kwizatz
what scrollbars? I see nothing different, long comments still mess the width of the page

(using Netscape 4.79, I know the new features are there in IE)
Yeah, in Netscape 4.7x, it still looks pretty much the same as it did before. At least it isn''t broken.
I''m using Mozilla 0.9.8, but I don''t think that will change anything. I''ve added a screenshot of Mozilla to the page mentioned a few replies above this one.

In Mozilla the entire message is at least covered by the dark gray box, so the source won''t be printed over other messages.
I swear, i saw uncolored boxes without scroll bars or anything...

Of course, this was at school where they run NT4.0 without service packs(not even one) and prolly like IE 4 or something. I can test and find more details...cause here at home they look just fine to me.

-----------------------------
Direct3D vs. OpenGL
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
Democracy is where you say what you want and do what you''re told.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
quote:Original post by Promit
Of course, this was at school where they run NT4.0 without service packs(not even one) and prolly like IE 4 or something. I can test and find more details...cause here at home they look just fine to me.

The same thing will happen if the old stylesheet has been cached and isn''t refreshed. Try emptying the browser cache and then hitting GameDev and see if there''s any difference. It happened to me - Win2kPro SP2, IE6.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
It seems the more general complaint is that they take up the size large amount of screen space even if there''s just a line of code

Yeah, that''s rather annoying.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I really like the idea proposed by Useless Hacker about having source boxes for different languages. Java would be a keen one to implement. I don''t know how difficult that is, but TextPad has a file that contains a lot (not all) of the Java keywords (called java.syn or something) (so you wouldn''t have to go and try to think up all the keywords yourself, or have to browse the API docs etc).

Any thoughts on this from the people in charge? Too difficult (I don''t know what ya have to work with, so....)? Too time-consuming? Or something you''ll seriously think about?

I will be the first to admit that most of the programming on this site is C/C++ so it''s not like a big, urgent issue. But I want you to tell me why or why not it''s possible, not me (grin).

-pirate_dau

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement