Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lackluster

ODBC is fun

lackluster    122
How can I connect to a specified server (via server name or IP address) to access a database? I could only find methods to access a DSN which is not what I''m looking for. Something like the SQLDriverConnect() API would be nice, with a pre-defined dialog box and all, but with the ability to choose/specify a server.

Cyberdrek    100
quote:
Original post by lackluster
How can I connect to a specified server (via server name or IP address) to access a database? I could only find methods to access a DSN which is not what I'm looking for. Something like the SQLDriverConnect() API would be nice, with a pre-defined dialog box and all, but with the ability to choose/specify a server.

I'm not sure if there is a function to do that in C or C++ but if you're making a website, PHP has Native SQL drivers compile in it...

Cyberdrek
cyberdrek@gdnmail.net
Founder Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

[edited by - cyberdrek on March 17, 2002 3:15:57 PM]

lackluster    122
I need compatability with at least three different databases. My targets are SQL Server, MySQL, and Oracle. I am most likely incorrect here, but isn''t ODBC the answer to this? That''s the only reason I chose ODBC.

Ozz    122
Lookup ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) on the MSDN, it's a nice High Level OO API built on top of ODBC. You can use a subset of ADO called RDS (remote data services) to access remote servers.

Eoin.

[edited by - Ozz on March 17, 2002 5:21:33 PM]

lackluster    122
quote:
Original post by Cyberdrek
I''m not sure if there is a function to do that in C or C++ but if you''re making a website, PHP has Native SQL drivers compile in it...

Nah, I''m not making a website, I''m making a Query Analizer. I know about PHP though, it''s my favorite web script language. Unfortantly, we don''t get to use it at work . We have to work with Cold Fusion & ASP.

This simple project is getting increasingly difficult having to learn RichEdit & ADO (in a non-wussy context like in ASP). Anyways, thanks for the replys. If anyone else has a good ADO tutorial to lend (besides the ones @ MSDN), that would be a grand help.

Taulin    100
If you have the right ODBC driver installed, you should be able to use the correct connect string.

An example of connecting to a PostgreSQL would be

"Driver={PostgreSQL};Server=;Database=;"

Of course there is other data like login name and password that can go at the end. If you do a search somewhere on ODBC, there are a lot of sites that give more information.