Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Placenta

Windows Programming Question....

I am writing a little tile editor (something I have never done before) and I have a question. When the user hits file new I want to create a new file but I am not quite sure how to do that... I know this part case ID_FILE_NEW : { } but I am not sure what would go in the middle of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Um, you might want to start with something simpler, like a text editor. Just so, I haven''t done a tile editor before myself, so I can''t speak from experience, but here''s my guess as to how to go about it generally. Use a bmp as the tile map, a DIB is probably better so that you can get at the data using a memory mapped file. Invoking "new file" would create a new DIB section and display it in the main window''s client area. Each brush type would be an item in a list, such that placing a tile would replace the relevant bytes in the DIB with a copy of the bytes from the brush. Once you''ve finished, you can save the color data into any format that you fancy. Take a look at CreateDIBSection, CreateFile, MapViewOfFile (and related api''s). I may be off a bit, but you''re bound to come across those api''s at some point or another anyway.

Well how do you make a dialog box that comes up and lets you type in the name of he file? Do you have to make a Dialog Box resource or is there already a simple function call that you can use.

You''ll want to look at the OPENFILENAME structure and GetOpenFileName and GetSaveFileName api''s. Take a look at the MDI example in the faq section at winprog.org. That will give you a better sense of how those functions operate, and maybe a sense of how to approach a tile editor as well, although I would expect a tile editor to differ somewhat from a text editor because each kind of data is different.