Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weasalmongler

Artifacts

weasalmongler    205
Hello. I have made a primative Quake3 bsp renderer (still in development) and I have got the level geometry and Textures displayed. However, I have noticed lots of artifacts on the surfaces which makes the level look nowhere near as good as it should do. Basically, parts of faces which are very close to each other start to flicker over the top of each other when you move, generating a very nasty artifact on most surfaces. I think that it may be to do with the depth buffer, and slight inaccuracy''s in the floating point math, with the result of different pixels being in front depending on where you are. I have increased the depth buffer resolution to 32 bit and they are still as promonant as ever. Does anybody know what is causing this problem, and if there is any way of fixing it, or at least lessoning the effect, so that it is less noticable. I am using OpenGL as my rendering API. I have another Quake3 rendering program which somebody else made and it looks fine when rendering the same level, and its driving me crazy!! Thanks for any help that anyone gives. -Weasalmongler

S1CA    1418
Yep, that sounds very much like "z fighting" - usually caused by the distance between your near and far clipping planes being too high!. Around 80-90% of the precision of a z buffer is in the first 10-20% of that space!!

It can also be caused if the size of the units you use for your vertices are too large. For example if you used a 1unit==1mile scale for storing a humanoid character model, its likely that you''d get similarly bad precision issues with 32bit IEEE floats!.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com