BJARNE STROUSSUP IS EVIL!!!

Started by
25 comments, last by Andrew Nguyen 22 years, 1 month ago
Bjarne Strousup (You know who im talking about...) is evil. I have nearlly gone crazy replacing :: and . and -> to thier rightful signs. Why couldn''t he just make -> and :: just .? I mean isntead of: foo::foo2() why cant we have foo.foo2()? and the freaking pointers and classes!!! foo->whatever ... WHY COULDNT IT JUST BE A SIMPLE .????
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Advertisement
well,

its not his fault really, since its just syntax..
he had to start from C language syntax, and just added
his own constructs.

anyway, even if he used other constructs, someone would
just complain again.

so whatever he used, just be patient and you will get used to it...

{ Stating the obvious never helped any situation !! }
Having . and -> is useful, as it provides another overloadable operator (useful for, for instance, smart pointer classes). Plain . can''t be overloaded, because there would be no way of differentiating between "member access" and "overloaded operator.".

As for ::, I''m not sure why you would *want* it to be replaced with .. It''s different -- it''s not member access (like . and ->), it''s scope resolution. A different idea.

In any case -- you''d have to be pretty frigging stupid to have a problem with picking the right one. The question is, why are you having to replace them -- why did you do them wrong in the first place?
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/
andrew: why don''t you post a link to the programming language you designed... i''d like to see how wonderful it is, since you seem to complain about every other one in existence...
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Not mine, but practilly solves all my beefs:

D Programming as seen in Dr. Dobbs
---START GEEK CODE BLOCK---GCS/M/S dpu s:+ a---- C++ UL(+) P(++) L+(+) E--- W++ N+ o K w(--) !O !M !V PS- PE+Y+ PGP+ t 5 X-- R tv+ b+ DI+ D G e* h! r-- !x ---END GEEK CODE BLOCK---
Looks like a HUGE waste of time for lazy people

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

very interesting... although i only read a bit, it looks like "c++ for people who don't want to learn c++"...
i will finish this tomorrow when i am at work and not spending my own time
why don't you just use that then, instead of complaining about c++?

[edited by - krez on March 17, 2002 9:57:07 PM]
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
For the record, it''s not exactly Bjarne Strousup "fault" there are . & ->, those are carried over from C and a primary goal of C++ was backwards compatibility (which is important in the realm of computing).

I guess you could ''blame'' :: on him...

I think there''s not enough operators, I like have unique operators for each different idea; a couple are reused and some are missing.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
First of all it''s Stroustrup.

Secondly he probably just assumed a base level of intelligence for programmers.

Ummm... I personally don''t think that c++ is all that difficult.
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement