Need some input for FPS/Tactical Strategy

Started by
12 comments, last by VisualB4BigD 22 years ago
Hmm... while I don''t dispute the fact that a mouse interface is essential at first (and if you forget a keypress), The mouse is quite finicky, whereas keypresses are definite. Also, keypresses are much faster. Look at a game such as starcraft: does anyone actually click on those icons at the bottom of the screen? When I play with my friends, it sounds like a receptionist typing, the keyboard is used that often! Basically, it''s just a way of hiding the interface, letting the player slip further into your non-reality.
Advertisement
Yeah I think your correct on that. But I will definetly want to keep some of the mouse interface for those "clickers". It''s going to come together one way or another.

I sure hope this world isn''t one big joke, because I don''t get it.
GREAT IDEA!

Its a good idea for multiplayer against computer or just single player.

I had a similar idea for multiplayer vs. multiplayer. Basically, you can also control you bot teammates however i think the max painish pause and bullet time thing would only fit into a similar idea that comes with the package: a video editor to make a dramatic bullettime matrixy movie of your game.

The bot control idea is one that im working on w/ the tribes engine: right now i can creat bots, and while in one character, lets say my "human" character in the game world, i can walk up to a control panel and select a bot to control. the point of this game is to find and kill the real "human" characters..so in wierd kinda of way this is a perma-death game. Here is another twist.. its big.. like several full tribes maps big, and underground and super large structers can be built in real-time (tribes is a great enging )

The other main element: Multiplayer save-game. Because of the size and scope of the game (think something like a really large scale Battlezone game) the need to save the game for an appointed restart will allow for longer more epic games, with the added advantage for teams to discuss strategy for the next restart of the game.

Also, Im in the process of writing the counter-strike firing model in the game, as well as the movement model. Fighting and squad based tactics will be based on counter-strike (why re-invent the wheel eh? )

Ive got the transporters working, but i need to implement counter measures and limitations on them.

The only thing I havent got yet is getting those really big internally rendered dropships in Tribes to fly. My dream is to create the first ever fully functional fps internally rendered flying craft that people or bots can walk around in while it flys. Of course this battlecruiser will have transporters and weapons ala Star Trek.

Tell me what ya think !
"The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end"
Look at the Feng Shui game system (I''ve forgotten who makes it, but look at one of the back threads about pen-paper RPGs, it''s bound to be mentioned somewhere)

I really like this idea, but I would make the following addendum:

Never control a single character exclusively, play in short turns where a temporary game freeze lets players line up orders for each character (to be carried out in the next three seconds of game time). After the time limit is up (or every player is content with his/her choices) players get to watch their orders play out.

This is my take on translating the Feng-Shui battle system into a CRPG (with a little bit of butchery for good measure).

Next freeze, you have twenty seconds to dish out new orders to everyone (some orders should take more than one ''tick'').

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement