Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coconut

Static Library import/export and LNK2001

Coconut    122
Hey, I tried to put all my game engine code into a static library, and it compiles fine now with my actual application using the project as a dependency. The actual .lib is included in linking, and I have a header file that #include''s all of the headers in the library code so that all functions/class'' are included, etc... all compiles fine. Now, when I go to link, I get several LNK2001 errors that I shouldn''t be getting. They''re: Linking... breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall CGDLLIterator::MoveToNext(void)" (?MoveToNext@CGDLLIterator@@QAE_NXZ) breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall CGDLLIterator::InsertData(void *,unsigned long)" (?InsertData@CGDLLIterator@@QAE_NPAXK@Z) breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: class CGDLLIterator * __thiscall CGDLinkedList::GetIterator(void)" (?GetIterator@CGDLinkedList@@QAEPAVCGDLLIterator@@XZ) breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall CGDLinkedList::Create(void)" (?Create@CGDLinkedList@@QAE_NXZ) breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall CGDLinkedList::CGDLinkedList(void)" (??0CGDLinkedList@@QAE@XZ) breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl InitGraphicsLibrary(struct HWND__ *,int,int,int,struct _GUID *,struct tagLOGFONTA *,int)" (?InitGraphicsLibrary@@YA_NPAUHWND__@@HHHPAU_GUID@@PAUtagLOGFONTA@@H@Z) breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall CGDLinkedList::~CGDLinkedList(void)" (??1CGDLinkedList@@QAE@XZ) breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void * __thiscall CGDLLIterator::GetData(void)" (?GetData@CGDLLIterator@@QAEPAXXZ) breakout_main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: bool __thiscall CGDLLIterator::MoveToFirst(void)" (?MoveToFirst@CGDLLIterator@@QAE_NXZ) arrow game library.lib(GKeyboard.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual bool __thiscall CGKeyboard::Destroy(void)" (?Destroy@CGKeyboard@@UAE_NXZ) Debug/BreakOut.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 10 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. BreakOut.exe - 11 error(s), 0 warning(s) Do I need to include a .def file declaring the exports, and if so how? What can I do? I tried prototyping the classes in the actual application file, as well as in the library include file. Thanks! -Brent Robinson

LessBread    1415
quote:
Original post by Coconut
Do I need to include a .def file declaring the exports, and if so how? What can I do?

Consult the manual. Consult MSDN. Also check out the __declspec(dllexport) modifier.

Coconut    122
My version of MSVC++ didn''t come with a manual (besides MSDN), so I tried their website. MSDN has never been able to help much with LNK2001, but I still tried it before posting here because I don''t want to bother you great GDNet people with questions I could have answered myself. Thanks tho. About the __declspec(dllexport), do I need that for static library''s? I thought that was just for dll''s, but I''ll try it. Thanks for the help!

-Brent Robinson

LessBread    1415
Sorry man, I know what you mean about MSDN - and I didn''t spot the word "static" - I saw "lib" and I figured you were trying to link in with a dll. __declspec(export) should obviate the need for a .def file (unless you want to undecorate the function names).

Most of the results of a google search on LNK2001 pertain to incorrect subsystem settings. However, this compaq link might be helpful (even though it concerns Fortran it provides some depth and it references C/C++ quite extensively) Q1012 - List of Linker Errors LNK2001 through LNK2014

aftermath    100
in the source code for the library, dont forget to have this statement in one header:

// The following ifdef block is the standard way of creating macros which make exporting
// from a DLL simpler. All files within this DLL are compiled with the NAN_EXPORTS
// symbol defined on the command line. this symbol should not be defined on any project
// that uses this DLL. This way any other project whose source files include this file see
// NAN_API functions as being imported from a DLL, wheras this DLL sees symbols
// defined with this macro as being exported.
#ifdef NAN_EXPORTS
#define NAN_API __declspec(dllexport)
#else
#define NAN_API __declspec(dllimport)
#endif

and include that header everywhare you are declaring/defining a function.
evey function shuld be declared with NAN_API

void NAN_API foo(int bar)
{
}

(NAN_API can be changed)

[ my engine ][ my game ][ my email ]
SPAM

Coconut    122
About the declspec(), do they need to be in the class declaration or the class prototype, or both? cause I added them to the prototypes and they''re still getting errors. Also, if I add th em to the class, I don''t need to add them to the individual class members right?

About the template question: No, none of the interfaces are template classes. Just standard C++ inheritance classes wrapping the DX interfaces in some cases.

-Brent Robinson

Coconut    122
Hey guys! I managed to fix it. Seems more likely that Visual Studio had another mystery problem, cause the only error I could detect is a difference in a parameter type in the prototype. The other 9 errors seemed to be undeserved completely, cause they went away completely after I stopped using __declspec again like I was before...hrmmm. Oh well, that''s quality work for you. Thanks for all your help guys!

-Brent Robinson