"Modern" sidescroller

Started by
16 comments, last by Impossible 22 years, 1 month ago
Or Castlevania X2 -Symphonie of the Night, is also a great example. Some parts added 3D just to emphasize things, but not take anything away. It was an incredibly huge game that also had RPG aspects.

This game is Best Hit game, so it is only $20, or just rent it.
Advertisement
I''ve played both Symphony of the Night and Metroid, and I agreed that they are both really good games, but I''m looking a something a little less complex and more action oriented. Adding some minor RPG elements would be a cool thing though.
I''m late for a meeting, but you might want to check out Abuse. Side scrolling networked multiplayer madness. And *old*.

Cheers,
-scott
If you want to get a bit of use out of that 3d accelerator, how about using a 3/4 (or so) perspective on some areas(for the ground only--sprites/other graphics like trees, etc. would be rendered upright). That would look cool, and you could easily do branching (but parallel) paths, which would be ideal for coop. For instance, if Joe, Bob, and Joe Bob all take the same path (they would be completely fixed with the exception of the branches) they end up crammed into the same small space when fighting the level boss. But if they split up, they end up in 3 different places and can exploit more of the boss'' weaknesses, not to mention only being hit 1/3 of the time by most boss attacks. Of course, you could do the same kind of thing in 2d, except I think it would look (and play) better in 2.5/3d.
-----------------------------------"Is the size of project directly proportional to the amount of stupidity to be demonstrated?" -SabreMan
well, I''m thinking about using some 3D objects in the game. What about being able to move into and out of the screen (I think some 2D fighting games did this, I''m not sure.)? It may work...
I feel a little lost with all these references to games I never played (R type, wonderboy) although i did play most of them. One thing I always thought would be cool would be to have "secret combo" moves like in your typical fighting game in a sidescroller (you know; back + B + A = super whoopass move ). BTW if this is an inherent feature in the games you guys are talking about then forgive my ignorance.
For a really cool background using 3d, on one of your levels, try this:

Put down huge amounts of parallax scolling backgrounds. Let''s say it''s an industrial level, with just a whole bunch of pipes as the background layer. Render all these pipes really far away (very distant background). Then zoom the camera in, rotate, render again. Do again. And again. You can get a really cool "pipes going on forever" effect. Change the ambient or directional light level as you render each level, making the pipes farther away look darker.

I did this in a 2d R-Type type game. It made a very boring level look very detailed, with a bare minimum of work.
quote:Original post by Impossible
What about being able to move into and out of the screen (I think some 2D fighting games did this, I''m not sure.)? It may work...

I''d think carefully about doing this, unless it''s only at key points in levels (transitions from 1 part of level to the next). Doing it that way could be very cool. (seeing people fighting in the distance, then later you can run into the background to join them.)

With some careful planning you may be able to do this at the player''s whim. It would probably change your game a lot, but might work. In revenge of shinobi for the genesis, there was a level with a chainlink fence in the background. You could jump over this fence and fight the enemies behind it. (or, if the enemies in front of the fence were too tough, you could skip them completely)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement