3d modeling

Started by
9 comments, last by s_cloudx 22 years ago
My little brother asked me a question this morning. He asked me if he can create the 3d models for my game (funny, I''m just finishing 2D and now he''s asking for 3D). Now, I do not know much about 3D (I''m planning on going 3D after I finish my 2D game). My question is: How do programmers put in 3D models from 3D studio, GMAX, and/or Blender into their game? I only want an overview on how it''s done, no technical answers, please. Just curious...
--------------------------Sony "Mr. Valdez" ValdezPinoyforum.net Technical EditorPinoyforum.net - the breeding ground of the Filipino Computer Talents
Advertisement
The way I do it is by programming my own 3D Studio Max plugin and export all the meshes from there to my own file format for my engine to read

So, with 3D studio, you just make a plug-in. How ''bout the others like Blender?
--------------------------Sony "Mr. Valdez" ValdezPinoyforum.net Technical EditorPinoyforum.net - the breeding ground of the Filipino Computer Talents
To export models from Blender you can write an export script in Python (Blender''s scripting langauge) or grab one ready made off the net. Blender includes file I/O support and a full object model for accessing meshes. Be warned - the object model isn''t well documented ... I learned all I know from the official Blender book (it''s called "The Blender 2.0 Guide" or something).

It only takes a couple of hours to pick up python so don''t worry about the hassle of learning a new language.

By the way - such a pity that NaN technologies (creators of Blender) have gone under ... it''s the only 3d editor i could make any sense of.
Depending on the packages, you might be able to write plugins to export the data to your "own" file format or you can learn the specs of the package''s file format, most are available, and you can read the data directly from the file. Most of these file formats are in binary mode, some in text mode, and they store the x, y, z values and much more data of the model...

For your 2d game though... If your brother wishes to make you 3d models he can... He can create the models then render them to an image file(bmp, tga, gif, jpg...) or what ever your engine supports, then you read them in your 2d game engine and display them...
ok, can someone please link some websites to 3d converters? I''m gonna check them out.

My 2D already have sprites (2D) and I already know I could export to an image format. But thanks anyways, everyone! :D
My artist is using Milkshape. Is there any info on reading in the milkshape file into OpenGL? (I don''t even know what the file extension is).
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
quote:Original post by GrandMLee
My artist is using Milkshape. Is there any info on reading in the milkshape file into OpenGL? (I don''t even know what the file extension is).

there is a tutorial on this at http://nehe.gamedev.net
gotcha

If at once you don''t succeed, use pofanity and try, try again.
If at first you don't succeed, use profanity and try, try again.
Try this

http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scripts/ShowZip.asp?lngWId=3&lngCodeId=1064&strZipAccessCode=ODE%5F10643311

download that, its called 3d world. It uses milk shape modeling in a world, and has it loading. You can probly even use that for you main loader, then just change the file to load the model. It should help... good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement