Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

invective

Pricing of Visual Studio .NET academic

When I bought the academic version of Visual C++ 5.0 alone, way back when, it was $99. Now I see that visual C++ 7.0 is only $69 and the entire academic Visual Studio is only $99 (less than C++ 5.0 in inflation adjusted terms). In addition, it looks like they actually incorporated acedemic features into the product, instead of just selling the regular version without the manuals. Why is this? Do you think its because academic institutions so heavily push java now (and both sun and borland offer free ide''s), or is this maybe to push C# and .NET by seeding the academic field with dirt cheap (relatively speaking) software? I can''t remember any other microsoft product getting this much cheaper over time.

Maybe microsoft has finally realized that "giving" development software to students is a good idea. Because the students usually dont develop anything they can make money on while their are studying, and what dev. software do you think they will buy when they are finished? The software they are used to.
So microsoft does have a great interest in replacing Java with JCreator or Jbuilder with C# and VS.net, as you say.
I think it will be a tough battle though, since Java and the IDE''s are REALLY free.
Anyway some uni''s in Denmark use Linux, so they cant run VS.net anyway

AFAIK, the academic version (just like the ''standard'' version) has a NON-optimizing compiler.

If your goal is to write games, tough luck.

Well then they arent as smart as i thought, its not a good idea to give people the impression that your product produces slow programs!

The academic version is exactly the same as the profession version. It has an optimizing compiler, a profiler, everything. It''s meant to encourage people to learn programming using Microsoft technology - not a terrible bad idea, I don''t think.

Over here (in Australia), I just had a look and Visual Studio.NET is $202 in my local university bookshop, considering the aweful state of the aussie dollar, that''s not too bad.

codeka.com - Just click it.

quote:
Original post by Dean Harding
The academic version is exactly the same as the profession version. It has an optimizing compiler, a profiler, everything.

Uhm... none of the VS.NET editions ship with a profiler - other than that you are correct. It is the same as the Pro version, plus some extra ''academic'' features. See http://www.msdnaa.com/technologies/vsnetacademic.asp
You can get a free profiler that works with VS.NET from Numega/Compuware here: http://www.compuware.com/products/devpartner/profiler/

true it is like Pro and does optimize, but it doesnt have a profile, but you can get one here: http://www.compuware.com/products/devpartner/

microsoft gave away .NET Academic for free at their launch events(www.msdnaa.com/vslaunch), and thats how i got mine

Yeah, with Visual C++ 6, you could buy Academic Standard and Academic Professional edition (which was kind of weird), for about half the price as the regular version. They were exactly like their non-academic counterparts, but under the license agreement, you could not publish commercial programs. I don''t know how they could ever figure what version was used... maybe a compiler signature was inserted at the beginning of each .exe, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I don''t know about VC++ 7. I always wondered how much faster my games would be with the optimizations. Does anyone have an idea?

Cédric

Depends on the game, i suppose. Why dont you turn optimisations off in your current compiler, compile your games, and then investigate? It should give you a rough idea.